Dell 530s Motherboard fail--

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Hello All,

I bought a Dell 530s Inspiron system and (unfortunately) the Motherboard (so I'm told) has tanked on me shortly after the warranty expiration. The system won't boot at all, just a solid yellow light indicating an unknown hardware failure. I am having a difficult time finding a replacement for this exact board, so my question is: What kind of motherboard (looking for cheap if possible) can I buy that will work with this model/configuration:

Dell Inspiron 530s (slim model)
Intel Dual Core 2 Duo Processor E4600
Ati Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256mb
2GB Dual Channel DDR2

We really just want to find a cheap solution, any motherboard that will work for this configuration would be fantastic. Thanks in advance for any help!

Was going to recommend a test on non conductive surface before mounting the board inside the case, but dells have unusual heatsink and cpu fan setups. Unplug the power supply. Discharge any static (ground your hand against metal) or get an anti static strap for around $1 at some places. Check for a hold down bracket on the back covering the cards and loosen first if needed. Then loosen the card hold down screws one at a time and remove each card; draw a diagram if needed and note the slot size each card is in. Then unplug the power supply connectors on the motherboard one by one and move the cables out of the way. Check for screws or a knob to loosen the board; some dells slide in and lock without any hold down screws. For screws, remove one by one and place in a clear plastic bag so you don't lose any. Note the case connections going to the board, especially the main one with the power switch; the new board should have similar pin clusters. If you get the board loose, you may have to remove the rear plastic vent going to the cpu heatsink that draws warm air away, but blocks the removal of the board. Then slide the board out at an angle working it carefully around the optical and hardrives. If they interfere with the motherboard removal, you may have to remove them before the board will come out. Once the board is out, place on a non static surface. Final step is to remove the motherboard backplate (also called i/0 shield) by pressing it back towards the inside of the case until it pops out. Then remove the new motherboard backplate and install from the inside out, pressing it against the case until it pops in straight. Check the cpu heatsink; I don't know how dell installs the heatsink, with a clip or epoxy to keep it against the cpu. If you don't see a clip, it may remove by twisting it back and forth until it breaks off the cpu; but I'm not sure about this. Once you remove the cpu heatsink, remove the plastic cover (on the new motherboard) that protects the cpu pins on the board; for socket 775 Intel on the dell motherboard, move a lever that you press slightly sideways until it pops up; move it all the way up, and then lift the cover off the cpu. Note the cpu position; it only goes in one way in the new board, according to the slots on the side; it will fall in with little or no pressure; never force the cpu or you will ruin the pins on the board, then it's time for a new board. After installing the new cpu, move the cover down and use the lever to lock the cpu down in the new board. You have to excert some pressure on the cover to lock it down, so be sure the cpu is in the right direction before locking it down. Then install the memory; it only fits one way; to remove, lift the clips on each side forcing the memory sticks up. On the new motherboard, open the memory slots by pressing down on the side clips. Line up the center notch and press evenly until you hear 2 clicks when the memory seats itself. With the memory and cpu installed, select the method of lifting the board and sliding it into position into the dell case against the new backplate. Then install the hold down screws one by one on the board standoffs. You may have to install standoff screws if the dell board doesn't use them. If the old dell board slides in and locks in place, the new board may not fit and you will want to get another atx case and move the old dell drives over to the new case. Good luck.

Townsend33

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Thanks so much for all the info - I replaced the motherboard. The computer boots up now and I can get to my documents and pictures, however, the computer is running so slowwwwwww and I can't get onto the internet. It won't really load anything other than documents and pictures. What might be wrong now?
Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS