Vista 64 Installation Problem

lbarnard

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
So, when I go to install Vista 64 (OEM) I get through the loading files screen and the screen with the moving green/yello bar at the bottom, but then freeze on the green-blue screen. The DVD activity light stays on. If I open the dvd drive the beginning of the installation process will pop up (choose country, language, etc). When I do this it moves onto the next screen and I hit Install Now. It then freezes at "Please wait." If I open the dvd drive once more I get a box titled load driver that says "A required CDDVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." If I insert a disc it just keeo looking and looking. Any ideas?

These are the relevant parts I think. Do I need to do something to the HD before installation? Is this a problem with not having the SATA drivers?

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model GH22LP20 - OEM
Foxconn A79A-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Try after removing 1 stick of RAM (yes Vista is touchy), then adjust the RAM voltage in BIOS. Afterwards make sure to change the HDD access to IDE (it may be set to RAID, or it has issues with AHCI).

lbarnard

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Already took out the 1 stick of RAM. What should I be adjusting voltage to? HDD is set as IDE.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
The RAM needs to be set to the Manufacturers preferred Voltage, when in doubt, check their site. Also from looking at your board, do not plug anything that you do not wish to be in RAID into the purple/blue (bad pic, can't tell), not even DVD RoM.

+1

I think a lot of people just don't have enough patience to let it do its thing. I would just start the installation and walk away for about 30 minutes.

lbarnard

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
After nearly an hour, it finally naturally moved onto letting me pick timezone/language. Cross your fingers that it'll move on from Please Wait within the next day. Thanks for the advice about being patient, I'd never seen it take this long. Hopefully being patient continues to work.

lbarnard

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Ok, after two hours it just move past Please Wait. Told me a CD/DVD driver was missing and to insert it on Floppy, CD, USB. Thoughts on what this means? I've read elsewhere that I actually need an IDE controller driver.

Update: XP 64 installs just fine. Not sure what to make of that.

TRENDING THREADS