"core 2 duo" and "core 2 duo mobile" performance

G

Hi

Is there any performance difference between the "core 2 duo" and "core 2 duo mobile"? I am thinking of editing my 1440x1080 HD video with pinnacle studio 12. I would prefer a laptop, but am worried that the mobile version of the cpu is less powerful and can't be mapped 1->1 to the hardware requirements of the sw.

loneninja

Distinguished
The performance is very similar, but I do believe the mobile chips loose some performance due to a slower FSB and a smaller amount of Cache. It shouldn't be enough of a performance drop to worry about it.

The mobile chips are identical for a given FSB, cache, and clockspeed. They won't quite match the current top desktop chips, but the higher end ones can come quite close. For example, a mobile P9600, with a 2.66GHz clockspeed, 1066MHz FSB, and 6MB cache, will basically keep up with a desktop E8200, with a 2.66GHz clockspeed, 1333MHz FSB, and 6MB cache. It will very slightly fall behind due to the FSB difference, but only by a couple of percent at most. It wouldn't be a significant difference. Of course, the mobile chips are quite a bit more expensive, so for the same price, you could get a significantly more powerful desktop.