Help with silent CPU cooler!

sneak3

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hello!

I have a intel quad core processor and the cpu stock cooler that came with it.

Now that i'm starting to make some changes in my PC I would really like to get damn rid of this cooler's noise!

I dont do overclocking but I would like a silent cooler (no more than 24 dB) but also a cooler that don't lack performance when I'm playing games!

My budget is 30 to 50$

So far I've seen:

Cooler Noctua NH-U9B SE2

Cooler CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Scythe MUGEN-2 Rev.B - SCMG-2100

What do you guys think?

What do you recommend me?

ps: One thing I did not get from these fans is that one has a 3 pin conector (noctua), so I wouldnt be able to control its speed. But in its specs, it's clearly visible that they mention a rpm variation!

Thanks!

The Noctuas are very high quality and quiet, if you can afford them.

I think it comes with its own resistor cables so you can decide how fast the fan spins.

You will need to try it out to see what temps you get as to how you set it up.

I think the fans are pretty quiet so you may find that running it full speed isn't a problem.

Hope this helps.

CPU cooler noise comed from the fan it uses, and the speed at which it rotates. Qualit of the fan is also a secondary issue.

If you are obsessive about noise, research at www.silentpcreview.com.

I think you want one with a slow turning 120mm fan.

One of the Xigmatek 1283 coolers is about $35 reasonable and good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

For the price($15 after rebate), it is hard to beat the CM 212:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
go with larger coolers (120mm fan) if you need silence... you didn't mention your case... it plays an important role on your coolers performance... but since you dont OC i would recommend a budget cooler like hyper 212 provided you have atleast one exhaust and one intake fan in your case... or at least an exhaust the least... i always find CM fans a little noisier at high rpm's... if thats the case, for the coolers price ($15) you can spend another $15 and go for a top notch PWM fan like Sharkoon Silent Eagle...