Sign in with
Your question

Controling CPU cooler with asus mb

Last response: in Overclocking
November 29, 2010 5:29:00 PM

Hello.

2 quick question!

1- I'd like to know which setting I should leave my asus p5kpl BIOS in so it doesn't conflict with speedfan when I try to control the speed of my cpu cooler.

2- Which BIOS settings is the best for the cooler to be mostly silent (low rpm) but when under hard work, automatically speeds up?

Thanks!!!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2010 9:16:24 PM

If you enable speedstep in the bios it will auto control the fan speeds.

Another option is to get yourself a fan speed controller so you can turn it up and down when needed by the twist of a dial.

m
l
November 29, 2010 9:34:47 PM

beanoslim said:
If you enable speedstep in the bios it will auto control the fan speeds.

Another option is to get yourself a fan speed controller so you can turn it up and down when needed by the twist of a dial.

But, for example, ive got a sus p5kpl/1600 and there is a setting called Quiet Fan. If I enable that, does that mean only the MB will control the fan?

Or will I be able to control it also? Because Id like the best of both worlds, automatically control AND manual control. But im not sure if ill be able to manually control if Quiet Fan is enabled!
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2010 9:50:06 PM

If you had a speed fan controller it would bypass the bios control.

I'm pretty sure you can still change your fan speed using speedfan with quiet fan on but I would imagine when you reboot it would revert back to auto control until you changed it again.

Just try it, best way to find out and it won't do any damage.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 6:14:31 AM

you should disable bios cpu fan control... name varies with manufacturers; in gigabyte its smart fan, asus quiet fan... then use speedfan to control the fan speed... i have had no problem with this till now; works like a charm without the need for manual interference...

BTW i have speedstep enabled but i dont know if it does or doesnt help in speedfan...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 8:33:16 AM

Abully, do speedfan settings stay set after reset?

I just prefer dials, manual control when I need it, good if you have a few fans as well.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2010 11:39:03 AM

reset meaning pc reboot??? Yes, they stay at the same setting you last left but please keep speedfan in the system startup... otherwise the fans will go to default full speed... everytime i start my pc i see the speedfan settings go down from 100% to 30% since the temps are cooler... after a few minutes of cooking the speeds go up to the temp levels i have set...

I have two cpu fans and 3 chasis fans under speedfan control... just the side fan is either on or off with a switch...
m
l
!