DirectX 10 for windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I have two 4830's in crossfire that support directX 10, and I want to use directx10 but I do not have vista, I have been hearing all over that directx 10 is possible for XP now, my question is....

1. Is it safe?
2. Is it stable?
3. Is it worth it?
4. does it work without problems?
5. thanks!

Here's a link to directx10 for XP

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
It actually is true and works, I have already tested it on an older computer but I heard that some times it get's messed up so you have to reinstall XP, but that was a year ago.

so with my new PC I wanted to know if they have fixed it yet.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
It is not true dx10.

Alky Project has released a preview of Alky compatibility libraries for Microsoft DirectX 10 enabled games. This can be used for Windows Operating system other than Vista to play games which requires Directx 10 / Direct X 10. This project was aimed to make DirectX 10 compatible games to run on Non Vista operating systems.
directX 10 RC2 Fix 1 - a installer patch to increase the compatibility of new games and programs with Windows XP. And also corrects errors with the launch of games requiring files with DirectX 9.0 and earlier versions of it.

It is an emulator that allows you to play dx 10 only games on other windows oses.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
No it enables dx10 games to work on other oses and emulates the effects of dx10. It is not true dx 10.
"This project was aimed to make DirectX 10 compatible games to run on Non Vista operating systems"
Apparently you can not read English.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Do you not understand what emulate means? English is my first language. Have been speaking it quite fluently for 30 years. I have several college degrees and MCP certifications. This program allows dx 10 only titles to play on xp. It emulates the effects of what dx 10 does. This does not make it true dx 10. Where in the articl you posted does it say It allows direct x10 to run in vista and not "allows dx 10 compatible games?"

I understand the difference of dx10 and dx9 and dx10 emulation.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Crysis is not a DX10 only game, thats why it runs in XP. If you were to run something that is DX10 only on XP...it wont work. Thats where this dumbshit ackly program comes into play. But its completely worthless.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
It does not take the affects of directX 10 and put it into directX 9, it removes certain files from XP and creates more to enable directX 10 to get past windows security, there is proven to be little to ZERO difference in directX 10 in vista to XP, my only question was, is there any problems or errors?

Thanks.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
This does not install dx 10 in xp. You can not go download dx10 from microsoft and install it in xp. You really need to learn the difference between hacks that emulate dx 10 and real dx 10.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Considering its an alpha and messes around in very important OS files, and has no real purpose, I wouldnt bother. The only reason this "program" was even started up was because people were bitching and whining about having to be forced to use Vista if they wanted DX10. And here we are 2 years later and DX10 is still completely useless.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Yes it allows directx10 to work on XP, it is like wine from ubuntu, yet better.

I never said anything related to what you are talking about chef, if you read my original post you will see this.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Chef your making this much more complicated then it needs to be, this program obviously allows windows XP to perform the same as vista would as it has directX 10, if you looked at the photos that were on the link that I posted you would see this, I do not care if it runs directx 10 or how it runs or if it runs, since obviously it's almost identical to the real directX10 it does not matter to me.

All that matters is if it works or not, if it is stable, and if it has problems or not, and as I am reading more about it it seems like it's better to stay away.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
The issue is when you started saying apearently I do not speak english or it is not my primary language. You Do not want to truly be educated and can not accept when you are wrong. Lets go back to your onriginal post.

"I have two 4830's in crossfire that support directX 10, and I want to use directx10 but I do not have vista, I have been hearing all over that directx 10 is possible for XP now"
I stated that you can not run directx 10 on xp and you can only emulate it.
Then you continued to argue that yes it can and that I do not speak English.
I will say it again. This program does not allwo DX10 to run on xp. It is a hack to allow directx only games on xp. You still will not get the directx effects. You can hack crysis to allow ultra high to play on xp with this and some of the shader geometries are enabled, but not all of them. If you would actually go to their website and read what the project truly is you might understand where I am coming from. http://alkyproject.blogspot.com/ But you will not take the effort to educate yourself.

So just go download it and use the program and live in your delusional world.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

If you are referring to this link: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182140/index.html

Then you are sadly mistaken, That story is about the Very High settings Hack for Crysis. It involves editing config files for the game.

Some ingenious users managed to enable very high quality on the Crysis demo in Windows XP through a clever bit of configuration-file editing. The second image in each set of comparison shots demonstrate what the hacked very high quality settings look like in Windows XP.

It in no way proves anything about DX10 working on XP. Just that Crysis' Very High Quality Settings can be enabled in DX9.

I used that hack before I upgraded to Vista.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

You are correct that you can hack and edit config files I was refering to the http://alkyproject.blogspot.com/ software. Not saying that you have to use this to hack crysis, just that you could.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

I was responding to the OP, who took what the article was saying, to mean that DX10 on XP was possible, which is totally not the case. The article mentioned that through (crysis)config editing you could use some of Crysis' DX10 effects in XP.

I don't doubt that AlkyProject works, I'm just trying to point out that the OP is talking out his ass.

The whole DX10 on XP thing is a non-issue for me since I bit the bullet and moved on from XP about a year ago when I decided to go 64bit and decided XP Pro 64bit wasn't supported enough for me.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

I know i just found this thread today and im reading through it wondering how this guy is so thick he didn't get it the first time around :sarcastic: he is most likely some fat kid with an inferiority complex.....ohh look you can't speak english so you know nothing and im the only kiddy to find out you don't need to switch to vista and xp is exactly the same....yeah im smarts than you :sarcastic:

Status
Not open for further replies.