I7 Build - Advice Needed - Parts List Help.

Patrick Fogarty

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Hi All

I would really appreciate some help with my new build… I have a flexible budget of £1600 and really want to make the most of my cash. It’s the first time I’ve built a computer so want to make sure I avoid purchasing pitfalls. The computer will be used for two main things, gaming and audio production. Due to the latter I would like the PC to be as quiet as possible (dead silent is not required).

What im worried about is buying a selection of individually powerful components that are collectively not well suited. If anyone could suggest a recipe for a PC that matches (roughly) the stated budget id really appreciate it.

In case this is important to your suggestions Ill probably end up running two 24” dell ultrashap monitors for my music studio (not included in the budget). Also what are the dell 30" lcds like? Are they just too big?

Also, although im sure it’s implied, gaming quality is a must, I really want to be able to max out crisis and future games for as long as my budget will allow etc.

A decent sound card would be great to, I like the creative range if anyone has any advice on these, or suggestions for better options! I will be using this mostly for gaming and will use an external card for my audio work.

Lastly if someone could suggest a cheap UK online store to buy from (newegg equivilent) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for helping a NOOB through this process. If it weren't for you guys id be LOST!

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Good UK stores:
http://www.ebuyer.com/
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

For gaming, I personally think anything over 24" is too much, it gives me a headache, plus you have to put a lot of money into the GPU for good gaming performance on a monitor that big. Just stick with 24" for now.

I would do something like this:
i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
6gb DDR3 1600mhz memory
GTX 295 (or 4870x2 if the 295 is over budget)
CM 690 case
Corsair 850tx PSU (Corsair 1000HX if you want to SLI/Xfire later)
WD Caviar Black 640gb System drive
WD Caviar Black 1TB for backup (you can get this later if it doesn't fit the budget now)
Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler
LG, Pioneer, or Samsung DVD drive
Windows Vista home premium 64bit

That should be about right I think for that budget...Try out onboard sound first before you get a sound card, the onboard sound on newer mobo's is very good these days and to be honest I can't tell the difference between onboard and a discrete $100 sound card. If you have fancy 7.1 speakers then it may be a worthwhile investment.

Patrick Fogarty

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Thanks for the quick responce! Really appreciate it.

As im im a bit of a noob could you suggest a good guide on putting the system together, overclooking, optimmal setting etc.. once I have the parts?

I would hate fo mess it up after spending all the cash!

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
No problem. Assembly is really much easier than most first timers think it will be. Just take your time and it will be fine. Google search is always quite useful if you get into trouble, and if you have some hiccups during post/startup there are tons of people here willing to give advice to help you out.

Patrick Fogarty

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Thanks.

Quick question, is there much difference between GPU's from the different manufacturers? Is a BFG (expensive) any better than say a sparkle (cheap) GTX295.

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
www.scan.co.uk will be cheaper than overclockers. Keep an eye on the today only section some good savings can be made that way. I saved at least 50quid by using the today only section.