Sign in with
Your question

Odd CPU Readings

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 30, 2009 10:32:30 PM

I am having a freaky problem, and I know it's because the CPU is unsupported by my laptop (Inspiron 1150, which uses a regular socket 470..), but despite the BIOS saying the CPU speed is 1.8GHz, everything else, Windows, Linux, CPUz are reporting it running at full 3.06GHz. Ok, no problem.

But what I see in CPUz is really confusing. It shows the multiplier as 14x and the BUS speed as about 220MHz. I am using PC2700 Crucial memory, and if I understand correctly, doesn't go quite that fast as it says the memory is 1:1..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/p...

Benchmarking it, I can't find anything to compare it to to see what speed it is really running at, but everything I try to run says 3.06GHz, even those utilities that calculate it's own speed readings.

Some utilities show, however, that I am running at 133MHz bus speed, like it should. That's what the BIOS says atleast, but as you see with CPUz, it doesn't appear to be that.

Any help into the matter would be great.

BIOS says the CPU is a "??1.8GHz", and then proceeds to give a microcode revision error and that it's not supported.

But it appears to be functioning just fine, L2 cache is full 1MB as being reported, 16KB L2 cache is seen by most apps (though BIOS reports only 8KB), and SSE3 is running just fine, despite the CPU only supporting Northwoods, that only contain SSE2's...

More about : odd cpu readings

a c 159 à CPUs
June 30, 2009 11:00:33 PM

Intel's speedstep doesn't start working until windows loads. When I watch cpu-z, it can change speeds in an instant. I don't monitor it anymore. If my system is stable, I don't care what the cpu speed is moment to moment. If you don't like it, just disable it in the bios.
June 30, 2009 11:06:21 PM

o1die said:
Intel's speedstep doesn't start working until windows loads. When I watch cpu-z, it can change speeds in an instant. I don't monitor it anymore. If my system is stable, I don't care what the cpu speed is moment to moment. If you don't like it, just disable it in the bios.

This BIOS normally shows both speeds of the CPU.

Speedstep isn't functioning at all at the moment, it doesn't down throttle on battery power like it should, or downclock on idle, it supposedly stays at 3.06GHz.

But remember the question in the POST, it's bus and multipler are totally screwed up for this CPU, which is a 532 Prescott (SL7NA).
!