windows media player 10 - mpeg files not working

February 8, 2005 5:31:10 AM

I have an O2 XdaII mini running: Windows mobile 2003 2nd edition

Q. Why can't I play moviefile (MPEG) through windowsmedia10 for pocketpc

I have windows media 9 on my home PC which plays MPEG, but when I upload the
file to my pocket pc, windowsmedia10 does not recognise the file, it comes up
with an error "There is no application associated with "....filename.....".
Run the application first, then open this file from within the application."
?????????

I've looked through the microsoft website, suprisingly it appeares
mediaplayer 10 doe not support MPEG? & 'compatibility of some MPEG file
formats is dependent on a 3rd party software'????

Does this mean I need to use something like Quicktime / Realplayer instead????
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:09:06 PM

Hello,

The mobile edition of Windows Media Player cannot play MPEG files, unlike
its desktop big-brother.

You can look into PocketTV (http://www.pockettv.com) as an alternative. It
is free for personal use.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"O2 mini buff" <O2 mini buff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an O2 XdaII mini running: Windows mobile 2003 2nd edition
>
> Q. Why can't I play moviefile (MPEG) through windowsmedia10 for pocketpc
>
> I have windows media 9 on my home PC which plays MPEG, but when I upload
> the
> file to my pocket pc, windowsmedia10 does not recognise the file, it comes
> up
> with an error "There is no application associated with
> "....filename.....".
> Run the application first, then open this file from within the
> application."
> ?????????
>
> I've looked through the microsoft website, suprisingly it appeares
> mediaplayer 10 doe not support MPEG? & 'compatibility of some MPEG file
> formats is dependent on a 3rd party software'????
>
> Does this mean I need to use something like Quicktime / Realplayer
> instead????

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:45:34 AM

I can advise BetaPlayer.
1) it's free
2) it's play MPEG
3) it play much more than MPEG. it play even DIVX AVI. If you have enough
big flash card you can just copy your avi without repacking.
4) it has best performance i have seen
5) it takes 900Kbytes on PDA
6) again. it's fully free.
!