Connecting printer to router

BHAussie

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hello

I want to connect my:

- HP officejet all-in-one 4215 (printer with usb only connection) to:
- d-link ehome EH100 wireless router to be able to access the printer wirelessly via
- notebook pc XP SP3

1. Does the wireless router need to have print serve cabaility or is that irrelevant/included in all routers?

2. If the wireless router does have print serve capability or it is irrelevant then can I just use a usb to ethernet adaptor (with a female to female adaptor) like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AGILER-RJ45-ADAPTER-NETWORK-COMPUTER/dp/B000BL3M3U/ref=pd_sim_e_5

(8P8C)

3. Then can I connect through the XP CP Printers Faxes, Create a New Port TCP/IP, method?

4. Can I use this setup to then connect an external 3.5" HDD usb (separate power) and would the drive be recognized instantly or is there setup involved.

Thankyou

riser

Illustrious
You would need a Print Server for your printer to have access on the network. Search amazon for one and that will get you access there but I'm afraid for the price you may be better off buying a network printer. :)

You would then create a TCP/IP Port, enter the IP address of the Printer, then install the drivers.

On the USB HDD, you would have to have it connected to your notebook.