Sign in with
Your question

Noob builder--dx9 vs. dx 10, vista wins?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows Vista
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2009 7:07:22 AM

gotta have an o.s. in the new build, i hear things from both sides still, but screenies, and vids have dx10 hands down winner.
im wondering if the same hardware, will make that much of a jump, if i use vista.

stuff i have in mind:
dual core amd
ati 4850
pc power and cooling silencer 750w
4 gigs memory
some board (?)
new hd, new burner,

it makes sense to me that if i play games in windows, that i would want the latest direct x version. a good freind is hell bent on using xp, which can only be direct x9, right?

-also thanks in advance, but if you were building a machine around a 4850, what config would you reccomend?

-fug

More about : noob builder dx9 vista wins

April 19, 2009 7:15:30 AM

1.Windows XP = Dx9
2.Windows Vista - Dx10
3.Dx10 is better because newer games support it and it does look better than games only using dx9
4. Your set up would be fine for vista. People just complained about poor performance in it because they would only have 1 GB of ram. There are 32bit versions of windows and 64 bit versions. 32 can only recognize about 3.25 GB of your ram while 64 bit can recognize... far more than 100 GB. 64 bit tends to have compatibility and reliability issues in my opinion and based on a test in tomshardware 64bit didnt show much of an improvement against 32bit.
So i would recommend a 32bit version, just google "windows 32bit vs 64bit" for more information.
April 19, 2009 7:17:44 AM

Doesn't your gpu memory play a part in how much ram the 32bit os can see?

Im glad i don't pay for my os's....id still be on my osx'd intel atom...then id have to buy osx :sweat: 

I don't believe there is much of a difference between XP and Vista when you really get down to it...either way you will do just fine...if your friend is smart in a hell bent way have him set your os up for you...im considering hell bent to be smart though

Why do you have a 750w psu? are you going to sli anytime soon? that is a bit overkill
Related resources
April 19, 2009 7:26:49 AM

for the 750, thought id buy one now, and be able to upgrade vid card in a few yrs.
another -sub question: does ati still make their own vid cards? or is it always third party (msi, gigabyte,saphire)? been looking, not finding much
-fug
April 19, 2009 7:31:52 AM

Im surely not the person to ask :??: 

Mind listing your full specs pc wise? and pricing for parts so far? budget?
April 19, 2009 7:50:04 AM

ATI designs and makes the cards, the companies like msi, saphire, etc, im pretty sure they distribute them. Each of those companies give cards there warrenty policy, RMA, etc.
April 19, 2009 7:58:32 AM

I've used Vista 64 on all of the machines I've built in the past year (4 or 5 of them, all different), and I've loved it. Never had one compatibility issue, never one crash. With 4GB of ram, I would go straight to 64. There's no reason to limit your hardware with a 32 bit OS. Sure, it gives no performance improvement, but when (or if) you actually need that RAM (video editing, audio editing, etc..) vista 64 will come in handy.
April 19, 2009 8:14:55 AM

has anyone played any games in dx9, and then in dx10, and noticed a bump up in graphics(with the same hardware)?

my budget is prolly around 600 bucks for case,psu,mobo,ram, hd. with the vid card tba.
April 19, 2009 8:25:11 AM

I believe starting out with an amd dual core would be a mistake...

If i where you i believe you should start with a phenom 720

get a small hdd to start with and add another later one to save a few bucks you could even get a low power graphics card to save a few bucks as well....when you have the extra cash you can upgrade to a nice powerful gpu and you won't be limited by the dual core....

You should create a thread and ask for help and suggestions....but buying that dual core would be a big mistake....
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 3:15:20 PM

DX10 is nice. Is it worth moving to Vista for? NO.
Does it look better? YES, it does look a little better.
But......
Don't buy Vista. Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't waste your money.
Just hang on for a while and wait for Windows 7.
April 19, 2009 6:50:51 PM

If for no other reason than ram at 4gb or more, you should run a 64 bit os.
!