September 13, 2009 12:56:19 PM

I recently built a new i5 system.
Component list is as follows:
ASUS P7P55D motherboard
Intel core i5 750 CPU
Mushkin DDR3 PC10666 CL9 4gig memory.
Corsair 650W psu
GTX260 216core gpu

The system is running nice and cool, I ran memtest86 and it found no errors, but when I boot, the system freezes after around 5 minutes.

Tried swapping video card and PSU (only parts I have spares available for) and the other system runs fine and the new one still freezes up.

Figuring it's either the cpu, the memory or the motherboard that's at fault, but I'm really at a loss as to how to troubleshoot what it can be as long as I don't have spare parts to play around with.

So far I've played with ram timings and voltage and flashed the BIOS (running 6060 currently).
The latest bios update made no difference except making the system freeze even faster.

I've tried looking around for hints as to what could be wrong, but no luck so far.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2009 9:13:15 AM

It's a bit hard indeed, since you can't just borrow a friend's CPU and try it on your mobo (thanks to 1156's newness). Your best bet is to return the motherboard first, try it out with your CPU. If it still doesn't work, return the CPU and try the new one.
a c 102 Ĉ ASUS
a c 218 V Motherboard
September 15, 2009 2:19:57 PM

amafi said:
The system is running nice and cool

How determined ? Are you running Asus Probe or something to monitor ?

Anything in Event Monitor ?

How was OS (which one BTW) installed ? ... fresh install or already on HD from old computer ?

September 15, 2009 3:45:22 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
How determined ? Are you running Asus Probe or something to monitor ?

Anything in Event Monitor ?

How was OS (which one BTW) installed ? ... fresh install or already on HD from old computer ?

I used Asus Probe II and the bios temp monitor and both showed the CPU at around 36 degrees idle (stock cooler).
Nothing in the event monitor, and I managed to get it to run long enough to do a fresh install of Vista 64 running one of the DIMMs in one of the memory banks (b1).
Once I flashed the BIOS to 6060 it started crashing a lot earlier.

Either way, I just now managed to snag a DDR3 4gig corsair XMS kit, and the system seems to be running fine (90 minutes and counting, knock on wood).
I guess I'll just send the mushkin memory back and get me some store credit.
And I'll be damn sure to check the QVL for my motherboard next time, heh.
!