Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 260 with VIZIO VO22L HDMI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2009 9:02:04 AM

I am about to buy parts to build a new PC. It has been 5+ years since i completed a build so I am kinda out of the loop on things.

I have most of the build figured out but the main thing that keep bothering me is my monitor set up.

I have a VIZIO 22 LCD HDTV with RGB, 2 HDMI, and component. I would like to use the VIZIO as my main monitor for this new build but am worried if it will work and the quality. It says it supports resolutions for computer of 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1360x768, 1920x1080 via VGA/HDMI. So I was wondering would it be fine at 1920x1080? And with DVI to HDMI connector would i have sound through TV? I plan on getting some better speakers but not soon.

I also have a ViewSonic VA1912wb I think it runs a 1440x900 or something like that. But I am really wanting to use the bigger VIZIO. Can you give me some ideas on how it will work out before I buy?

General specs of build:
Core i7 920
6gig 1600 ram
gtx260
motherboard still not decided,
800 to 1000 corsair psu
sata hds
sata Od possibly Blue Ray
HAF 920 case
April 19, 2009 9:10:59 AM

Check next to the VGA port on the rear of the tv and see if you see a headphone jack

If so use that and just run it combined with the vga cable...
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 9:18:04 AM

Rewind... Headphone jacks on TV's are outputs... Unless he also runs an output from the PC into an input on the TV, what sound could you possibly expect from the headphone jack on the TV? None, right? Unless you mean to use that while he's running everything through the HDMI input... That should work.

Orange Power: The configuration should work, but doesn't always. Some TV's (some monitors too) are more tolerant of the different PC connections than others, especially when it comes to HDMI connectivity. If possible, seek out a card that has an actual HDMI output, rather than use a DVI-HDMI adapter and use a quality HDMI 1.3b (I believe that's the latest version) cable.
Related resources
April 19, 2009 9:27:01 AM

No i mean exactly what i said :ange:  :non: 

My LG 22" and LG 52" both have a headphone jack next to the vga port so you can use the male to male headphone...normal headphone jack(im not sure what its called exactly :ange:  ) that allows you to send sound from your onboard or pci sound card while using the vga source....so does my sony bravia 40+" and my 50+" samsung

And i believe that vizio model is new enough that it should have it as well but im not sure...

So did i just completely prove you wrong? or are we on another page?

Rear of an LG scarlet...that is what im talking and what i use when i run my pc off of my tvs...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vizio-VO22L-22-LCD-HDTV-NTSC-ATSC-Q...|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

If this is your Vizio im pretty positive i can see a port for a headphone jack below the vga input...

BTW i don't believe there is a noticeable difference in using vga vs dvi....atleast for me its less then notice able...
April 19, 2009 9:51:44 AM

Well see what RazBerry has to say about the difference between hdmi/dvi/vga

I can't really find much of a difference across my tvs....

You just need a vga cable a headphone cable and you are set...

So how do you feel about vizio? is it your only vizio product? why did you go with vizio...they have some pretty decent prices

Sorry i haven't read much up on vizio to see if there going to be a formidable contender to the big boys :o 

Iv got the same equivalent to your vizio with my 22" lg @ 1680x1050 and im in LOVE!!!!
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 9:55:12 AM

Ok... Sorry Rewind. But, in my defense, that is not an actual headphone jack. It's a 1/8" audio input. Had you said that, I wouldn't have thought it so odd you overlooked the need for audio to go from PC to TV before out to a pair of headphones. But, you said headphone, as in for headphones, as in output. LOL
April 19, 2009 9:57:48 AM

RazberyBandit said:
Ok... Sorry Rewind. But, in my defense, that is not an actual headphone jack. It's a 1/8" audio input. Had you said that, I wouldn't have thought it so odd you overlooked the need for audio to go from PC to TV before out to a pair of headphones. But, you said headphone, as in for headphones, as in output. LOL

I know but that would have involved googlin...i new it was close to that size etc but i wasn't sure so i just said headphone jack :pt1cable: 

What do you think of using vga vs dvi or hdmi?
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 10:10:58 AM

I love the fluidity of using HDMI to HDMI when it works properly. Using a DVI-HDMI adapter to HDMI input vs a VGA to VGA connection tends to show relatively little difference, in my opinion.
April 19, 2009 10:17:11 AM

Iv probably got some settings wrong on my 22" as it is the only one i tested this on so far but i ran a dvi cable from the card with an hdmi extension on it and only got a *** video....maybe it is where i HAVE to use the dvi/hdmi adapter as i was using a cable with dvi on one end and hdmi on the other....then again i had to rma my psu so iv used the graphics card for less than 3 hours.....back on topic...

Uhmm you may have already suggested it but if his card/mobo supports it he can connect the 2 prong cable...from his 260 to the motherboard and send out hdcp or w/e.....http://www.computing.net/answers/gaming/hdmi-hdcp-audio...

I should see if my motherboard supports it as well
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 10:28:10 AM

What 260? Didn't see him mention any actual cards in his first post...

As far as I know, unless the video card actually has a physical HDMI output port, they do not include the audio device. In addition, only video signals pass through DVI outputs in the first place, not audio and video. With use of any DVI port as the starting point, he'd still need to run audio separately.

Edit: Bedtime here. Good luck!
April 19, 2009 10:36:54 AM

RazberyBandit said:
What 260? Didn't see him mention any actual cards in his first post...

As far as I know, unless the video card actually has a physical HDMI output port, they do not include the audio device. In addition, only video signals pass through DVI outputs in the first place, not audio and video. With use of any DVI port as the starting point, he'd still need to run audio separately.

Edit: Bedtime here. Good luck!

he said "gtx260"

I must be mistaken but i could have sworn someone said you can use the little input next to the pci power connects to do it....ahwell :p 

Wait what about the s video out on em? does it have audio output? i notice it has s video and 3 other cables...not sure but its 7 am...night
April 19, 2009 1:06:01 PM

If u haven't bought the graphics card then i'd recommend any ATI equivalent card (cause of the build it sound processor and slightly better HD video processing) and one with a direct HDMI output to pass the video and audio with just one cable. Also definitely go with HDMI - HDMI or DVI - DVI on the video part since a digital output to a digital display doesn't need any analogical conversion which can translate into loss of quality.

PS: U get better screen calibration through digital -> digital.
April 19, 2009 6:03:20 PM

SpadeM said:
If u haven't bought the graphics card then i'd recommend any ATI equivalent card (cause of the build it sound processor and slightly better HD video processing) and one with a direct HDMI output to pass the video and audio with just one cable. Also definitely go with HDMI - HDMI or DVI - DVI on the video part since a digital output to a digital display doesn't need any analogical conversion which can translate into loss of quality.

PS: U get better screen calibration through digital -> digital.

Ohh yes i didn't even think to check if he might not have the gtx 260

That is definitely the way to go and is probably where i read of the whole hdmi audio thingy...
April 19, 2009 11:27:50 PM

Just to clear something up here, if you use an ATI card the DVI to HDMI dongle passes sound through it fine. I suspect the DVI to HDMI cord would as well, but I can't verify that. Also isn't there a way to connect audio from the motherboard to an nvidia card?
April 20, 2009 3:14:34 AM

What's the problem??? It should work flawlessly.
April 20, 2009 7:23:50 AM

San Pedro said:
Just to clear something up here, if you use an ATI card the DVI to HDMI dongle passes sound through it fine. I suspect the DVI to HDMI cord would as well, but I can't verify that. Also isn't there a way to connect audio from the motherboard to an nvidia card?

Yes there's a way, there is a small cable that goes from the top of your graphics card to the digital audio conector on the motherboard S/PDIF connector. Not the one on the backplate! It kind of looks like the old audio cable that connected the CD-ROM to the sound card back in the day. Anyways i don't know if that cable is supplied with your graphics card (my 9600GT didn't have the cable bundled) or it comes with your motherboard (Again i didn't have it)
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2009 7:39:11 AM

SpadeM, you are correct sir! The connector should be near the PCI-E 6-pin plugs, I believe. Of course, that depends on the model, but the reference design has it there. It appears they would be "sold separately," of course.

This biggest difference between ATI and nVIDIA in this matter is that ATI cards with HDMI capable output actually have an on-board sound device for audio, whereas nVIDIA cards require cabling from the S/PDIF connector of the motherboard sound or sound card. Both will pass audio through the DVI-to-HDMI dongle. That's it in a nutshell.
April 20, 2009 7:49:05 AM

RazberyBandit said:
SpadeM, you are correct sir! The connector should be near the PCI-E 6-pin plugs, I believe. Of course, that depends on the model, but the reference design has it there. It appears they would be "sold separately," of course.

This biggest difference between ATI and nVIDIA in this matter is that ATI cards with HDMI capable output actually have an on-board sound device for audio, whereas nVIDIA cards require cabling from the S/PDIF connector of the motherboard sound or sound card. Both will pass audio through the DVI-to-HDMI dongle. That's it in a nutshell.

Which was along the lines of what i was mentioning earlier...something like that

Do most mobos support the connector? or is it only recent mobos...
April 20, 2009 9:18:54 AM

Most mobos with a HD audio have it .. it's a 2 pin connector near the sound chip.
April 20, 2009 3:29:41 PM

Nice information guys, I have not totally decided on a motherboard but am leaning ASUS P6T direction. I am still open for suggestions though. Though I will need the set up you were talking about above. Right now I am going to use DVI>HDMI dongle for TV. TV does have RGB, would there be any degrade in video going DVI>RGB?
April 20, 2009 5:28:19 PM

The RGB input or VGA for that matter, being an analogical input is susceptible to noise from, for example, the power supply, or any other RF emiters. That noise translates into red pixels on the tv screen therefor going from the graphics card's VGA output to the TV VGA input (if the graphics card you chose has a VGA output use it directly, less hassle ), u might see some of the artifacts i was talking about. But if u have a good cable, something that ferite rings at both ends and is shielded from interference then u're ok.
I'm usually inclined to go digital - digital since that gives me more control over brightness/hue/saturation and so on.
April 20, 2009 6:11:09 PM

yeah I guess I am going DVI>HDMI since most Cards that have HDMI hook ups are 500 dollars +.
April 20, 2009 6:13:02 PM

my gainward 9600GT has HDMI DVI and S-Video out :p 
!