Is the Phenom II X3 710 good enough for basic gaming?

skyturnred

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
By basic gaming, I mean mainly blizzard games, which is known for going easy on weaker, lower end computers. I would probably also play other games on my computer, but I don't mind lowering settings to improve performance.

TheMan1214

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
On the high end of blizzard games (WoW) i would say that that is enough at least on the processor end.

You'll find that graphics cards play more into whether you can run a game at good settings or not....also to adequately answer your question, what kind of graphics card are you using and what is your resolution

skyturnred

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

Actually, this would be my first computer build ever. I have nothing so far. For the past month or so I've been looking around for the components that I would get. But when it comes to the CPU and the video card, it's over my head. Can you suggest a video card for me, based on what I mentioned before? Thanks a lot in advance. My budget is arround 130 - 140 $ (or if you're american, 130$ CAD is about 110$ USD).

skyturnred

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

thanks a lot for all your help

If you are not going to overclock much, then get the X3 710...
But if you are going to overclock, then a very good alternative is the X2 550...With the correct mobo, it can become a Quad...and has unlocked multiplier too...

NeilCar

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I am a noob which just completed my first build and have not upgraded from the onboard GPU yet. I went with the 720 BE which is only 10 dollars are so more than the 710. I have an Asus m478t-e which has been absolutely flawless. Don't rely on being able to unlock cores if you can do it great but dont count on it. I was able to unlock the 4th on mine but anytime I would stress test it, it would shutdown. Atleast I have three which is a lot better than 2 if I would have went with the 550 that had not been released when I purchased my setup. I was able to oc the 720 to 3.6 but am currently running it at 3.2 with 1.35v totally stable. Building your own is really the best root. I bet that I spent less time building this one than I did deleting all the unwanted crap off my last computer.