E5500 clocking speeds

psi0n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hi Guys,

I'm new to these forums so please ... be gentile. :D

I've recently bought a DualCore E5500 (sounded like the best bang for buck around my zone) for like 50€ (~65$).
These puppies come with a 14x multi and a 200/800 FSB and it was my intention to get it to pump out some decent performance.

My Mobo is an oldish GA-X38-DS5 (didn't want to spend more than the 50€ for the CPU, otherwise I'd invest on a I7 or I5 + mobo, but that will be an adventure for some other time). I've always had mildly OCd CPUS and so this E5500 came as a cheap upgrade to my E2160 that was pumping out 2.8GHz.

I bought a Zalman CNPS10x Quiet just to keep the temps below those I could get with the stock coller (which is not to hard as Intel is REALLY playing the cheapskates part with their coolers nowadays).

My first attempt got me to an easy 4.0Ghz with a 286Mhz FSB on stock voltage, which made me generally satisfied (I will keep it at this speed during normal usage in the future) although I'm really curious to see how far these things can go.
I then tried to pump some extra juice into the chip just to see how it coped (1.45-1.48V). It got me to 4.33Ghz with some bios tweeking but I'm getting a hard time getting past that. I would really like to say it would give me the 4.5Ghz stable if only to run and benchmark and then pull it back down to 4.0.

My last attempt was somewhat suicidal (1.6v) but even then I couldn't get to a stable 4.5Ghz and windows would just BSOD when booting.

Any suggestions u guys could give me on how to go the extra mile or do you think I've maxed the CPU?

Cheers!

mlorenzo

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

Hi psi0n,

what mobo are you using going to 4ghz??
i'm also thinking of buying the e5xx series... and 4ghz would suffice for me (i think for now :D )

mlorenzo, read the post.

psi0n, you have undoubtedly reached the limit of the CPU. You are actually pretty lucky if it is stable running Prime95 at over 4 GHz. The best I could do with my E5200 was 3.78 GHz in an old GA-EP35-DS3P.

The Wolfdales tend to run like bandits.That old P35 board has an E7500 running at 4.1 GHz (24 hourd P95 stable). One nice thing about the Wolfdales is that, although you need better than stock cooling, you do not need great cooling. Because they are dual core CPU's, they do not have the thermal loads of the quads. A merely "average" cooler will do nicely.

mlorenzo

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

oww sorry... i didn't notice that :) thanks btw :)