Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Elixir DDR2 667 review

Last response: in Memory
September 13, 2009 2:09:29 PM

Hello all, I am planning on upgrading my dell xps710's ram. I have been looking around, but am not much of a techie. Is this ram ok?

2GB (2 x 1GB) Elixir DDR2 667 PC2-5300U Desktop SDRAM

The part number is M2Y1G64TU8HB0B-3C.
The writing on the ram says: 1GB 2RX8 PC2-5300U-555-12-E1.667
MS0812501D.XX

I have been reading up on it , but am not sure how to tell what RAM cards have high or low latency ect.
I do know I need a pair or 2 of 1024MB DDR2-667, PC2-5300,240p DIMM 1.8v.
I assume different brand name come with different qualitiy issues.

Any info would be appreciated.

More about : elixir ddr2 667 review

a b } Memory
September 13, 2009 6:50:54 PM

Haha, well out of that list, the only companies who actually MANUFACTURE anything are Kingston and Crucial, who are probably using some Elixir DRAM chips. Patriot does some of their own modules using PSC chips (which are often supplied by Elpida, an excellect Japanese DRAM manufacturer).

Elixir = Nanya Technologies: http://www.elixir-memory.com/default.asp Elixir is an actual real manufacturer of DRAM chips and modules, not the 'fake' manufacturers who just put their stickers and logos on someone else's product like Corsair, OCZ, GSkill, and Mushkin, then charge twice as much.
Related resources
a b } Memory
September 13, 2009 8:21:42 PM

^Meh. Still prefer Micron tough.
September 14, 2009 3:47:22 PM

I have the 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz (dual core)with 1 Gb of ram(2*512MB) if this makes any difference. It also(the manual) says that this system will not use any more than 4Gb using XP, but has a max of 8GB.
One other question reguarding this I do have is : Is it better to use 4-1GB RAMs or 2-2GB ones?

It seems I am getting 2 opposing responses to the elixer. If it is not a reliable, quality product, then i do not want it. But if they make chips for name brands then they must be good.....lol.

As far as unclocked...that is beyond my current level of knowledge. I have heard of the term, but can picture smoke barreling out of the PC if I tried anything like that. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

So I over payed....well that is part of the reason I want to upgrade it, it is at least 2 years old, but I still should (hopefully) be able to upgrade and use it for a few more years. I will also be looking into video cards at a later date.

Thank you for your responses.

Best solution

a b } Memory
September 14, 2009 5:29:33 PM

Elixir modules are just as good as Samsung, Micron, Kingston, and other first-tier manufacturers. They're JEDEC standard modules, not designed for overclocking but you don't seem interested in that (95% of computer users aren't). I would recommend buying DDR2-800 modules if they're not too much more. They will run at the lower DDR2-667 speed and you may want to recycle them in the future for use in a different system that can utilize DDR2-800.
September 14, 2009 8:35:03 PM

Thankyou for the helpful reply.
a b } Memory
September 14, 2009 9:50:00 PM

Second that, buy 2 800mhz 2 gig modules. You will then have, and be ready for anything you would ever need to do with the system you have. Look at the timings, especially the first 3 numbers. "5" is a pretty darn good number, "6" is not too bad either for low cost memory, and of course, the lower voltage, the better. 1.8~1.9 volts is perfect. Anything more and I start to doubt the quality of the chips used. Overvolting is kind of a crutch to get lower quality RAM to run at faster settings.
!