Sign in with
Your question

Flash 285 GTX OC to OCX Yes or No

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2009 3:26:20 PM

K well I'm bored right now,

Should I risk flashing the 285 GTX OC to OCX, because I was also thinking that with some cards OC vs OCX there might be more stability in the OC because there might be a voltage increase to jusfity a clock.

What do you guys think, since I do trust alot of your opinions.

Cheers

Here is the file I'll be using:

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/...

Again thank you

More about : flash 285 gtx ocx

April 19, 2009 4:12:56 PM

Nah. Just manually OC it man like you have been. Never know what could go wrong with a VGA BIOS flash. I dont think its worth the risk of bricking a $350 card.
April 19, 2009 4:23:24 PM

yeah but I can create a backup Bios and reflash the card from dos :p  since I have 2 cards haha. I dunno, its just that sometimes I just don't want to leave the card Oced to 750 mhz and leave it stock, but at the same time I want the stock to be 702 mhz like the OCX HAHAHA:p 
Related resources
April 19, 2009 4:27:18 PM

I always get the cold feeling running through my veins when I flash my mobo's BIOS. I'm not sure if this applies to video cards, but the advice I've read for mobo's is always "don't flash unless you absolutely need to". I know with mobos you can easily turn them into bricks with a bad flash.
April 19, 2009 4:46:06 PM

FredSRichardson said:
I always get the cold feeling running through my veins when I flash my mobo's BIOS. I'm not sure if this applies to video cards, but the advice I've read for mobo's is always "don't flash unless you absolutely need to". I know with mobos you can easily turn them into bricks with a bad flash.

Im the same way, im deathly afraid of BIOS flashing. And speaking of I almost bricked my brand new Gigabyte UD3P last weekend, the BIOS flash failed and corrupted, but luckly this board has a backup secondary BIOS so it loaded that up and all is well.
April 19, 2009 4:49:16 PM

I hate BIOS flashing. What you really should do, Liquid, is go see a psychiatrist because there's obviously something wrong with you.

Although, BIOS flashing might be the geek's version of bungee jumping.
April 19, 2009 5:32:10 PM

See a psychiatrist for asking a technical question? LOL sure

Let me start again, I have 2 285 GTXs, so if 1 gets screwed up, I just plug the monitor in the 2nd 1 and reflash the first 1 from Dos.

My main question was, is it at all any benefit from the flash, in terms of voltage the card gets. Because I did take note that some manufacturers do tamper with the voltage when heavily OCing a card, or to ensure maximum user satisfaction and card performance.

Thank you

a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 5:43:00 PM

Agreed, bunji jumping, not for the timid.
I guess it comes down to, will you be happier in the end? Sorta like finding a girl heheh
April 19, 2009 5:58:29 PM

Any1 know if voltages for the OCX are higher?
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2009 6:08:27 PM

Cant find my usual source, but I dont recall any v tweaks for it. But dont take that to the bank. But I dont recall any, not for the 285
April 19, 2009 6:13:22 PM

Thank You, atleast the answer was helpful and gave me a direction:)  for the voltages.

I'll see what i can find, thank you again to all.
!