change drive letters

May 23, 2004 2:56:57 PM

Hi Group,

I just bought myself a new computer. I am really happy because I finally
have something decent.
Question: I am running XP Pro, and somewhere along the line I managed to do
something that wasn't what I wanted. I partitioned my HD, my main being C:
, but my other partition is F: the DVD Rom ist E: and the CDRW is D: How
do I change the letters so that the 2nd partition is the D: Partition and
the other CD or DVD drive are then E. and F. respectively? All help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

GL

More about : change drive letters

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 6:57:14 PM

Windows Help is quite good in basic explanations.
Run 'diskmgmt.msc'
Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change
Drive Letter and Paths.
Do one of the following:
To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want to use,
and then click OK.
To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you
want to use, and then click OK.
To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.

Certainly, command-line tool Diskpart is a bit more complicated than GUI.
!