Interested in HDD Western Digital 500GB Caviar Black 32MB

pumaile

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I have a Hitachi 160GB SATA2 8MB HDD and I want to upgrade it. What do you think about WD5001AALS ?
It's the best HDD I can afford, suggest lower priced HDD if you think there is a better one.

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

It really depends on where you are/where you are buying from. There are comparable drives in the price range, but they are priced differently everywhere.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

That is a great new SATA 3 HDD. Good choice. If you could afford the 1TB size, you should consider it. It's sort of like space, you stuff "files" increase to fill up the space you have. $58-$86 at Amazon, free shipping no tax. It's a fast high performance drive with lots of cache. Hard to beat.

pumaile

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
The WD5001AALS (500GB Black) in my country (in the stores) it's about 100$ I can't afford anything above it.

What do you think about the WD640GB (32MB) Caviar Green ?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi again,

The WD Cariar Green drives are energy saving HDD's, in that they spin down when they are not addressing I/O requests, then spin up again when needed. So the spin down/spin up takes time making these not performance drives, just more energy efficient drives. The spindle motor takes 12V @ ~ 1 AMP so use 12 Watts power. probablyi 25% of that is inefficient heat, not a lot of energy saved unless you have many of them.

For performance, use the Caviar Black, for inbetween use Caviar Blue, for slower energy saving use Caviar Green.