How hot should my system be?

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hi, i've looked all over the net and cant find a definate answer to help me so thought i would just quickly ask

got a cm690 case with 6 casefans with a fan controller my psu fan is sucking air from out of my case (at the moment) and my CPU fan runs about 900rpm because of gigabyte itelligent fan of sommut!

so i've looked on both bios and easytune (gigabyte mobo) but mainly using easytune and currently in idle my system temp is around 39C-41C and the CPU is about 25C-35C then earlier playing a game for 30mins or so and checked the temps and system was approaching 46C and my CPU approaching 42C

Are these normal tempratures?

Thanks for your help in advance rob

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
cool cos when i was on cod4 i just randomly asked and this american rolled out these figures.... "70F-80F in idle and then 80F-90F when under load" but thats what in centegrade?

20-30C in idle and then 30C-40C

im not deputing he's figures but obviously they don't correlate to mine

anyway cheers, any more advice is welcomed thanks

cool cos when i was on cod4 i just randomly asked and this american rolled out these figures.... "70F-80F in idle and then 80F-90F when under load" but thats what in centegrade?
It's easy to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

70°F = (70-32) / 5 * 9 = ~21°C
80°F = (80-32) / 5 * 9 = ~27°C

Do you believe that he achieved those low temperatures on load? I don't think so.

40°C idle and 60°C on load is fine.

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
i got the figures right roughly!

I know they are hard to believe lol apparently 115F is way too high, i did think though it was too good to be true, but he mite have a fridge in hes case!

I made a mistake when I wrote the formula. It should have been °C = (°F - 32) / 9 * 5. However my conversions were correct.

115°F (46°C) definitely isn't way too high. It's a bit high at idle, but really cool on load.

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Cool youv'e been a big help one more question my CPU fan is currently controlled by my bios is it better to disable this and have the fan running at full speed? for better airflow?

The problem is that it isn't required at idle, so the only gain is more noise. I'd rather have hotter CPUs and less noise from my systems. If the CPU gets hot enough, the fan speed will automatically increase.

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
i think aswell you get all these noobs (lol ME INCLUDED) and i thought it would be easy building a system... and yea it was not too bad, but in retrospect there are so many little things i would do now, but even if i had have done more research i dont think it would have helped overly because you don't know untill a problem crops up!

you live and learn