Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 295 vs Tesla C1060

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2009 6:00:15 PM

Obviously the 295's cheaper [significantly] than the the 1060, however the C1060 gets 150-300 fps one crysis on Very High setting
and nvidia's got a 50% off Tesla C1060 promotion going on now, making the uber expensive 1060 tangible.

given the C1060's half price [~650USD] and astounding ability to rip crysis, think its better than getting a gtx295 [same price]?

More about : gtx 295 tesla c1060

April 19, 2009 6:12:17 PM

NO!

It does not "rip" crysis in the slightest. That video shows the Crysis map designer which is a far different thing than playing the game. The GTX 295 will wipe the floor with any workstation card in actual gaming.

I REPEAT!

The Tesla C1060 is NOT a video card!
April 19, 2009 6:30:12 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
NO!

It does not "rip" crysis in the slightest. That video shows the Crysis map designer which is a far different thing than playing the game. The GTX 295 will wipe the floor with any workstation card in actual gaming.

I REPEAT!

The Tesla C1060 is NOT a video card!

i realize its not a video card, but given its massive price it should be able to do something faster/more efficiently than a standard video card :\
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
April 19, 2009 6:51:36 PM

It's mostly for graphics rendering programs Maya or 3D-Max where high precision calculations are necessary to create 3D models and or animation.

The Tesla is probably based off of the GTX 285 / 295 core, but it won't perform any better. The price is due to the fact that you will receive a very high level of specialized tech support for professional rendering programs. So if you were trying to render a "fuzzy" bear, but the end result was a bear with spiky hair all over it's body and it is not a software issue (meaning it is driver related), then tech support will work with you to figure out the issue.

If you call them regarding gaming issues like flashing textures or whatever, they will probably tell you you should have bought a GTX 285/295, or tell you to deal with general tech support (in other words... F**k Off).
April 19, 2009 7:10:56 PM

jaguarskx said:
It's mostly for graphics rendering programs Maya or 3D-Max where high precision calculations are necessary to create 3D models and or animation.

The Tesla is probably based off of the GTX 285 / 295 core, but it won't perform any better. The price is due to the fact that you will receive a very high level of specialized tech support for professional rendering programs. So if you were trying to render a "fuzzy" bear, but the end result was a bear with spiky hair all over it's body and it is not a software issue (meaning it is driver related), then tech support will work with you to figure out the issue.

If you call them regarding gaming issues like flashing textures or whatever, they will probably tell you you should have bought a GTX 285/295, or tell you to deal with general tech support (in other words... F**k Off).

appreciate the info. ive seen that quadros are essentially regular geforce cards with tweaked drivers that offer better performance for workstation apps. I just figured that given the hefty title of "personal supercomputer" that they would offer some very impressive performance.
how much better are Teslas at graphics rendering and other workstation apps than the gtx295?
a b Î Nvidia
April 19, 2009 7:34:05 PM

battery said:

how much better are Teslas at graphics rendering and other workstation apps than the gtx295?

Don't know. Like I said, most of the cost is related to specialized tech support.
April 22, 2009 10:41:12 AM

If you call them regarding gaming issues like flashing textures or whatever, they will probably tell you you should have bought a GTX 285/295, or tell you to deal with general tech support (in other words... F**k Off). said:

or they'll offer you nikola tesla's death ray machine just for kicks.

the video was nice, though it shouldve been vidcapped on a real gameplay scenario.
Anonymous
May 9, 2009 10:02:00 AM

GTX 295 + 2X tesla c1060 cards = ray tracing in realtime. enjoy.
May 9, 2009 10:14:45 AM

the video he linked to, the guy benchmarking was using 8 of them and his resolution was 1456x810 apparently so they're actually rubbish per each gpu.
July 3, 2009 2:24:44 AM

Just FYI,
GTX295 is a graphic card which come with a display output. but Tesla is not a graphic card come with display.

Tesla C1060 only a card which you install in your system & need installation of CUDA driver. It mostly help on rendering process, sometimes maybe some other programs. But it doesn't come with Display out at all.

So there is no comparison between Tesla & GTX295 we can make, unless someone who have tried it out to together with benchmark given showed it really improve your gaming experience after install Tesla.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks.
August 13, 2009 10:56:21 PM

I wish to run 2 GTX275 in SLI with 1 Tesla C1060, has anyone done this before and did it work well. This is for a gaming computer & also CAD.
Anonymous
March 29, 2010 3:37:33 AM

sean133 said:
Just FYI,
GTX295 is a graphic card which come with a display output. but Tesla is not a graphic card come with display.

Tesla C1060 only a card which you install in your system & need installation of CUDA driver. It mostly help on rendering process, sometimes maybe some other programs. But it doesn't come with Display out at all.

So there is no comparison between Tesla & GTX295 we can make, unless someone who have tried it out to together with benchmark given showed it really improve your gaming experience after install Tesla.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks.

Have you used Tesla C1060 for rendering, how fast was the rendering with Tesla C1060.

thanks
!