GA-MA790X-UD4P and power needs

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hey guys,

I recently set up a new system with a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P mobo, and I'm wondering whether I should upgrade my current 550W power supply (a BFG MX550) to something a little more powerful. My concern is that with a 955 Black CPU, 3 internal HDDs, a nVidia 9800 1gig vid card, 6 fans, and a plethora of external devices connected via USB, I'm not giving the PC the juice it needs to run at full potential.

I've been playing with the overclocking capabilities of the mobo, but I can't seem to find a steady OC regardless of what settings I'm running. I'm starting to think that maybe the PSU is not powerful enough to support all that hardware along with OCed settings.

At default settings the PC runs perfectly, but I would love to be able to maximize the potential of the mobo. Do I need to upgrade my PSU? If so, what PSU would you suggest? Keep in mind that I am not interested in spending more than $120-$180 for a new power supply. I just want something reliable that will keep pace with future hardware additions to my computer (which may or may not include an additional vid card).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Well, Thermaltake seems to think I need at least 860W worth of power for my current setup. So it looks like I'll possibly be buying a heftier PSU in the near future.

I gotta wonder how accurate the Thermaltake calculator is. Since they're partially in the business of selling PSUs, I would imagine they may be overstating power needs just a little bit so they can sell some units. Since I'm too lazy to physically measure exactly how much power my PC components are drawing, I suppose I'll go by the calc. for now.

Regardless, it'll be nice to get a(nother) shiny new power supply. :lol:

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

That Newegg number is much more realistic I think. Screw it, I'm gonna upgrade the PSU anyway. 850W, maybe?

Buy an 850 only if you will really use all of that power in the future... The reason I have an 850w is due to the fact that I will be purchasing another 260 and a couple more hard-drives down the road....

You should be able to get buy with a 750w like this one for example :

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=TX750

Btw, that Ren & Stimpy avatar is the sh*t!!!! [:jaydeejohn:5]

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

I am definitely interested in a Corsair PSU, and the price for that one is pretty sweet. I need a modular PSU though; I've got that Antec 902 case and cable management is a pain in the butt.

Ren & Stimpy say thanks!