Sign in with
Your question

Installing RAM from one laptop to another?

Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2010 4:11:10 AM

Hi newbie here, Im not sure if i posted this on the right category.

I had my RAM upgraded to 2gb because I wanted to install a game and my laptop had less ram than it required. So I went to the shop, bought a memory module and had it installed. Paid a lot for it if I may add. So anyway, after two months, my laptop broke down (someone smashed the screen) and so my parents gave me a new one. The new one unfortunately has only 1gb of ram. I'm wondering if I could transfer the memory module from the old one to the new one? The old one was a Neo Qnote Emprivia laptop and the new laptop is an Acer aspire 5630.

Can I do it by myself? I think i could remember the repair guy when he fixed my old laptop. He just took the old module out plugged the new module in. or at least thats what i saw. Do i need to do anything else?

Additional Details:

*The memory module i had installed on my old laptop is a "2gb ddr2 pc800 apacer NTB" (that's what it reads in the box)

*The website For acer says My laptop has two slots. Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.

im sorry for the ignorace. I hope someone could help me.

More about : installing ram laptop

November 27, 2010 4:40:55 PM

xtiangankaico said:
Hi newbie here, Im not sure if i posted this on the right category.

I had my RAM upgraded to 2gb because I wanted to install a game and my laptop had less ram than it required. So I went to the shop, bought a memory module and had it installed. Paid a lot for it if I may add. So anyway, after two months, my laptop broke down (someone smashed the screen) and so my parents gave me a new one. The new one unfortunately has only 1gb of ram. I'm wondering if I could transfer the memory module from the old one to the new one? The old one was a Neo Qnote Emprivia laptop and the new laptop is an Acer aspire 5630.

Can I do it by myself? I think i could remember the repair guy when he fixed my old laptop. He just took the old module out plugged the new module in. or at least thats what i saw. Do i need to do anything else?

Additional Details:

*The memory module i had installed on my old laptop is a "2gb ddr2 pc800 apacer NTB" (that's what it reads in the box)

*The website For acer says My laptop has two slots. Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.

im sorry for the ignorace. I hope someone could help me.

With a jewelers phillips screwdriver, you should be able to do this yourself.

Both ram chips are usually accessible on the bottom of the laptop. Dig up the service manuals for each laptop and they should have step by step instructions on how to do it. Sometimes you have to remove the keyboard to get to a chip.

As to ram speed, most ram chips work a speed slower than they are speced at.

ddr2 800 ram "generally" works on a board that takes ddr2 667 (PC-5300 / 8 = 667).

The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Good luck!

m
l
Related resources
!