Shipped computer, came smashed..no POST.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I recently moved, and shipped my computer with UPS (United Parcel Smashers). Little did I know that my computer would be smashed.

Anyway, let me get down to the bigger problem. I tried to turn it on when it got here, and there was no power. I thought it was the PSU since it was smashed in. It was hanging on to my poor Lanboy (got it for $15 back in the day :D) by only 1 of 4 screws. I went to Fry's and bought an Antec 900 and a 650w Antec Earthwatts. I got home, put my components in the new case, and it still wouldn't POST. I don't even get beeps from the motherboard, with or without memory. It doesn't POST, but the fans spin up for 2-3 seconds, then the computer shuts down. It keeps on doing this till I turn it off, and I can't turn it off from the power button on the case. I have to use the PSU switch. I have tried to clear the CMOS many times, and nothing works. I even took out the battery. I tried keeping only the necessities plugged in. I kept the CPU, 7600GT, and memory. Nothing. I'm suspecting it's the mobo, too, but I don't know for sure. I would hate to throw away a mobo for which I payed $250. I hope the CPU isn't broken. Any inputs? What's wrong with it?

I know you guys are helpful, so that's why I came here, yet again. The Toms community has been very helpful to me over the past few years. Thank you to everyone. :lol:

Specs:

E6600
P5B Deluxe
Kingston DDR2-800
eVGA 7600GT
650w Earthwatts
Seagate 300GB 7200 RPM

That would suck if it was the board since I think with a BIOS update that thing can take 45nm, and it's a crossfire board. Take out the video card and see if you get a beep code. Check to make sure that the motherboard doesn't have any cracks or missing capacitors. You should also take off the heatsink and CPU to make sure that the CPU was properly inserted and that the CPU socket, or the CPU itself is not visibly damaged.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I have done all of those things. I think the motherboard, unfortunately, is toast. The fans spin even without the CPU fan plug inserted into the mobo. I just hope the CPU isn't gone too. Otherwise, I have to build a completely new system for $800 when I get the money from UPS.

I'm beyond happy that I took my HD with me on the plane. :)

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I shipped many packages with them, and every single one arrived damaged. The person from the UPS store said that he will see to it personally that I get my money for at least the insured packages.

No ideas on what's wrong with my computer guys? Motherboard most likely? :D

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I"m think you've got a bad mobo since there have been no beeps.
I've had a few beeps along the way so I'm thinking a bad psu.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Alright, thanks. I hope it goes smooth. :)

Also, I want to get a cheap mobo for under $120-130. What would be my best bet?

There's no point in spending more than that in my opinion if there won't be anymore CPUs released for LGA 775.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I bought that motherboard today. No luck at all. Now the fans don't turn off on and on every 3 seconds, but it still won't POST. For some reason, I think the CPU is dead or the PSU is having problems.

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Well if it's the mobo then the psu & cpu might be good....
yeah I know.. but silver lining & all that
I won't get the replacement PSU I ordered until tue or wed.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I changed the mobo though. How unlucky can I be? I think I'll go to Best Buy and get a bad PSU and some cheap RAM to test them out. I don't want to go to Fry's for the 3rd time in a week.

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I think everyone doesn't want to be the bearer of bad news.
it seems as tho, to figure out what works & doesn't work, your gonna have to buy a new mobo, & cpu to go along with your new psu, assuming the new psu is good.
Once you've got those new parts working then try swapping your smashed parts out. It sucks but I don't see any other way unless you've got the testing tools required.

Three things I'd keep in mind if I were you;
1) what system do I want to have when I'm done
2) buy from a place I can return too
3) If option #2 isn't possible then there's always ebay.

I rma'd a psu but I wasn't willing to wait 2+ weeks for the turn around so once I get it back from ocz I'm gonna put it up on ebay.