Akasa Nero S vs. Scythe Mugen 2 rev B

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hmmmm, I already have a Nero S, but I am never happy with temps. I have just ordered the Mugen 2 based on this review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535-14.html

However, it has become aware to me that the Mugen 2 might not be any better than the Nero, because of this review:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2010/03/22/akasa-nero-s-cpu-cooler-review/2

Now I know the two reviews are from different sites and both over look things like current ambient temps or airflow from the case, but what I am concentrating on is the fact that both reviews use an i7-870 with around the same Vcore (1.35v+). The second review actually suggests that the Nero S is better, however it seems all temps are a lot lower in this review because the Noctua NH-D14 is much lower, so I guess it was a cooler day or something. If you compare the difference between the Mugen 2 and NH-D14 in the first review and the Nero S and NH-D14 in the second review both are 4 degrees worse than the Noctua.

Excuse the ramble. What I am trying to say is which is better and have I just purchased something that will not improve my temps at all? Any improvement will do :p

I would try the scythe mugen 2.
That is what I plan on buying.
My only suggestion is that you buy quality thermal paste.
Try Arctic Silver 5.

1. Scythe Mugen 2 is bigger.
This is good because it allows for more surface area for the heat to dissapate.
2. Scythe Mugen 2 has more heat pipes.
(5 pipes instead of the 4 you currently have and older versions of the Nero S have only 3)
Having more heat pipes allows for better cooling by being able to draw more heat away from the CPU to the tower fins.

I do think you will be better off with the Scythe Mugen 2. I have done lots of reading a research all of which led me to the Scythe Mugen 2.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I have MX-2 but it is quite old, say 6 months. Should I think about getting some more? I have had my eye on the NH-D14 for a while but was trying to be clever with my purchase, hence the Mugen 2.