4 GB Dual Channel Memory vs 6 GB??

Paul22000

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I've read that the best performance is to have two sticks of the same memory in the appropriate slots for "dual channel" mode or something. However, is it better to have 2 sticks of 2GB in dual channel mode, or 3 sticks of 2 GB? (All will run in DDR 800 MHz)

Solution
OH well that all depends on your memory usage. It will be slightly faster to have run the memory in dual channel mode, but you will have less resources, it's as simple as that. Do you often find yourself running low with 4gb? then it's probably worth it to use 6. If you only use around 3 however, you might as well stick with 4gb. If you want a more definite answer then i suggest running some benchies with both setups ;)

Paul22000

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
to achieve dual channel functionality, you must either install 2 or 4 DIMMS. Using 3 will result in single channel memory usage.

I think you read the question a bit too fast there ; )

I KNOW you must have 2 or 4 DIMMS for dual channel memory. I am asking whether it is better performance to have two DIMMS in dual channel memory (4 GB) vs 6 GB of NOT dual channel memory?

Kenshin112

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
OH well that all depends on your memory usage. It will be slightly faster to have run the memory in dual channel mode, but you will have less resources, it's as simple as that. Do you often find yourself running low with 4gb? then it's probably worth it to use 6. If you only use around 3 however, you might as well stick with 4gb. If you want a more definite answer then i suggest running some benchies with both setups ;)

Solution

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
If you are talking 2x 2gb, and 2x 1gb, and they all have the same speed, then it will run in dual channel as long as you put the right sticks in the right slot, but like the guy said, memory is so cheap, just go for 8gb.

c1tobor

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
I know this is an old thread but it might help someone...

I just bought a new pc with 6GB ram and a core i5-650. It came with 6 GB in duel channel so I assume its 2x2 and 1x 1x to equal six. Its a new Lenovo and I like to think they know what they are doing.

Hope this helps.