Sign in with
Your question

Maximum distance between House and Tap for cable internet

Last response: in Toms Network
September 6, 2011 11:04:16 PM

Hey there Smart People!!
I am 900 ft. off the road and would like to hook up to cable for internet...Time Warner is the king around here for this purpose..

I live in the woods... I have No clean line of sight to the road....4G not available..... SO....The Question is.... Can I run cable out from my house, in a conduit of some sort. 600 ft or so. So that I am within the so called 300 ft max distance from the tap? From what I understand that is the max distance an installation crew will run a line without calling in the "Engineering" department..... Just the sound of that sounds like a MONEY GRAB!! Does anyone have a solution other than this??? Help!!
I'm getting ready to invest in some Carrier Pigeons o r some Agent Orange and a chainsaw...
September 7, 2011 6:52:31 PM

It looks like the Thick Ethernet, which is what I'd guess is used in these cable runs has a max length of 500 meters. But you may want to confirm with a cabling tech, I'm very much a generalist with thest things. Good Luck with this plan, installing a 600 foot conduit is not a small thing to work on.

Thin Ethernet , 10 base 2
Speed: 10 Mbps
Max Len: 185 Meters
Cable: RG-58 type coax, 50 ohm impedance

Thick Ethernet, 10 base 5
Speed: 10 Mbps
Max Len: 500 Meters
Cable: RG-58 type coax, 50 ohm impedance

m
l
September 8, 2011 7:09:51 PM

Thanks for the feed-back!!

Your response was much quicker than that of the provider in this area..(I haven't heard from them yet)..I'll let ya know what I come up with...

P.S. The neighbor has a Bobcat with a trenching attachment... :D 

Thanks again!!

jp

m
l
September 8, 2011 8:00:28 PM

farkel said:
Thanks for the feed-back!!

Your response was much quicker than that of the provider in this area..(I haven't heard from them yet)..I'll let ya know what I come up with...

P.S. The neighbor has a Bobcat with a trenching attachment... :D 

Thanks again!!

jp

You're welcome, hope you get this working. Take some pictures of the work as you go and post them here!
m
l
!