Bridge to neighbors router

tater215

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
We moved out to a more rural address a couple of years ago and our internet options are very limited. We use the internet to use online gaming and VPN access for work. We tried Wildblue and it wasn't cutting it, we inquired about DSL and are about 35,000 feet from the CO. I have been talking to the cable company for about 18months trying to see if they can get us connected and a what cost to no avail. We currently use a 3G aircard and it works just not all that well for online gaming.

We live about 1,000 feet from the highway and our neighbor in front of us has a good high speed internet connection. I am wanting to ask them to share their internet connection with us and hope that a wireless bridge will allow us to do this.

Their house is about 700 feet from ours and I can see their router on our laptop when I am about 600 feet away. I was wondering if installing a wireless bridge with a directional antenna on our end would allow us to connect to their router adequately or if their would need to be some hardware installed on their end?

I would just like to know what would need to be done before I ask them to share their connection.

Thanks,
Tater

Solution
You will want to research Line of Sight wireless (LoS). It would basically involve setting up some form of a dish on both ends to relay a signal.

700' puts your outside the distance of running a cable, but running fiber could be an option depending on how you want to go out about it.

You would have to purchase LoS equipment, have it installed on their end (do it yourself) and then do the same on your end. Just make sure you have a physical line of sight from your connection point to their connection point.

riser

Illustrious
You will want to research Line of Sight wireless (LoS). It would basically involve setting up some form of a dish on both ends to relay a signal.

700' puts your outside the distance of running a cable, but running fiber could be an option depending on how you want to go out about it.

You would have to purchase LoS equipment, have it installed on their end (do it yourself) and then do the same on your end. Just make sure you have a physical line of sight from your connection point to their connection point.

Solution