WinXP Fonts?

How do I change the fonts in My Computer & Windows Explorer?

Thx

Display Properties/Appearance/Advanced.

I've tried those settings before, and made several changes, but unless I'm
missing something .. there is no way to change the fonts for my Computer and
Windows Explorer there..
Thx
"Jetro" <no.spam@internet> wrote in message
> Display Properties/Appearance/Advanced.

Im trying to change any 'text' (files, folders, drive names) that appears in
Windows Explorer or My Computer.

"newsreader2k" <newsreader2kr@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> I've tried those settings before, and made several changes, but unless I'm
> missing something .. there is no way to change the fonts for my Computer
and
> Windows Explorer there..
> Thx
> "Jetro" <no.spam@internet> wrote in message
> > Display Properties/Appearance/Advanced.

So you wanna change a system font...
Change the FONTS.FON value in
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize.
You must enter a font filename with the extension, .FON, in order for this
to work.
The default Windows 2000/XP shell font (for Explorer windows) is Tahoma, and
the default system font (for System Properties, Device Manager etc) is MS
Sans Serif.
Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes, edit
the "MS Shell Dlg" REG_SZ value in the right hand pane and modify its
"Microsoft Sans Serif" default value to match any other font name installed
on your system.

Hi Jetro,
I noted this morning that the font on the Dektop had been changed to something graphical. It also affects the fonts in some of the applications.

Reading yr message below I took it that the "Tahoma" reference had somehow been corrupted. I went to regedit (which by the way had been "cleaned" by McAffee "QuickClean" yesterday). For the key you indicate the reference was Tahoma allright - without the .FON extension, which I understand must be added -which I did, but to no avail.

Is there another place where I should look?

Thanks and regards,

Pierre

"Jetro" wrote:

> So you wanna change a system font...
> Change the FONTS.FON value in
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize.
> You must enter a font filename with the extension, .FON, in order for this
> to work.
> The default Windows 2000/XP shell font (for Explorer windows) is Tahoma, and
> the default system font (for System Properties, Device Manager etc) is MS
> Sans Serif.
> Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes, edit
> the "MS Shell Dlg" REG_SZ value in the right hand pane and modify its
> "Microsoft Sans Serif" default value to match any other font name installed
> on your system.

Hi Jetro,

This morning my PC desktop was all written with some graphic font. It affects some areas of the Applications as well.

Based on yr msg below I tried to edit regedit but I was not sure whether I really had to add .fon to Tahoma or not. Certainly tahoma was at that location. There was no GRE_Initialize though, just "current version", would that be the missing field?

Where should I look next? Tahoma appears in a lot of places

Thanks,

Pierre