Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooler Master
  • Cases
  • Fan
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 1, 2010 11:41:01 AM

Hi, just wanted some suggestions about adding case fans. I'm a bit of a desktop noob, having used Laptops for much of my gaming (and having plenty of overheating problems on them).

I recently bought a cooler master elite 430 case (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6654). It comes with with a front intake fan but no exhaust fans. Since my processor temps (i5 760 - stock clocks, stock cooling) go up to 80C on Prime95 stress tests (and around 65C playing tf2, l4d2 on full settings) and the voltage regulator temperature of the motherboard rises to 80C (during stress tests) I thought I should add a couple of fans. Now there are two possible places to place intake fans on the Elite 430. One is a 120mm fan on the side window and the other is at the bottom of the case (120mm fan again). My CPU temps are 40C idle (light browsing).

I'm thinking of purchasing two 120 mm fans, using one as intake at the bottom (since my gpu (a gtx 460) only rises to 60C during stress tests and I feel this doesn't require additional cooling), and one exhaust at either the top of the case or the back (rear of the case).

Here are a few diagrams:

The proposed configuration

Couple of questions:

1. Would 1 exhaust fan be enough and is this the best position for it? Would a side fan be recommended?

2. Is 1 exhaust fan enough for 2 intake fans?

3. Noob questions - Is there any advantage in plugging the fans into the motherboard (front fan and rear fan labels) instead of directly to the power supply?

Here is the cooler master's ideal airflow (taken from cooler master website):

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

More about : adding case fans advice

a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2010 12:21:49 AM

Recommend:
-- Move your ODD to the top slot, then add a 120mm intake fan in the 3 contiguous ODD bays - use nylon ties. Take off the cover plates and add a screen to the front of the fan - you can use regular metal window screen material. If you don't want to mess with a screen, mount the fan 1/2-way into the bays.
-- Add a 120mm exhaust fan to the mount on the rear of the case.
-- If you need more airflow after you try that configuration, add another 120mm exhaust fan to the top rear of the case.
December 2, 2010 4:13:02 AM

treefrog07 said:
Recommend:
-- Move your ODD to the top slot, then add a 120mm intake fan in the 3 contiguous ODD bays - use nylon ties. Take off the cover plates and add a screen to the front of the fan - you can use regular metal window screen material. If you don't want to mess with a screen, mount the fan 1/2-way into the bays.
-- Add a 120mm exhaust fan to the mount on the rear of the case.
-- If you need more airflow after you try that configuration, add another 120mm exhaust fan to the top rear of the case.

Hi, thanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll give some of them a shot.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2010 3:45:25 PM

Use your proposed diagram (with the arrows), but instead of the bottom intake (where it will inhale a lot of dust and cat hair), place that fan as a rear exhaust. You may wish to replace the stock cooler with most anything that has a 120mm fan (the 92mm fan on the AC7 Freezer Pro whines like a monkey in the Wal-Mart candy aisle); a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ would be a good choice there.
December 2, 2010 4:18:22 PM

your diagram looks correct for proper airflow.

It wont significantly lower your temps by adding those fans, but it will certainly help. I know its going to be a pain in the ass, but if you want to really reduce your CPU speed you will have to buy an after market cooler like the Hyper 212+

I have the same processor as you (stock speeds, for now) but with the Hyper 212+. I idle at around 25C and under load from P95 I get 45C.
December 2, 2010 5:59:55 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, most people recommend the after market cooler (especially the cooler master hyper), it's just that being a bit fairly new with building desktops and the after market cooler's being fairly complicated to install I've been a bit apprehensive. I'll give the case fans a shout first before diving into the the cpu cooler. 45C under load from P95 sounds amazing!
!