Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Remaining drive life

Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2010 6:18:25 AM

Hi to all.

I'm the happy owner of a Ultradrive 64 GB FTM64GX25H and I've never had a issue so far and I've upgraded the firmware each time a new one was released. Currently it's version 2030.

I've been using the drive as my boot and program drive for my Win 7 64 bit for the past 14 months and accordingly to both CrystalDisk Info and Indilinx SSD Status the remaing drive life is now 7%.

The disk has 38 GB free, the cell wearing is 4669, GB read are 7995, GB written are 3020.

Because the drive life is reported as 7% and going down a 1% or so every week, should I worry?
What happens when the reported life is 1% or 0%?

Should I buy a new SSD now and clone the old one to the new one?

Thank you!

More about : remaining drive life

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 24, 2010 11:46:23 AM

When an SSD runs out of blocks that can be erased and reprogrammed the last attempted write will fail and the drive will enter a read-only state. It will probably not be able to support a running OS, but can simply be stuck in another machine and have its data safely extracted. A typical consumer SSD should be perfectly readable for at least a year before the cells begin to lose charge and the data lose integrity, so if you can't find a PC within a year to put it in then you're out of luck :p  All of this is in contrast to HDDs, which can become difficult to read from once they fail because they often fail mechanically.

Whether your SSD will go read-only at 0% remaining life is impossible to know until you get there, but it's entirely possible that it will last some time longer. The average program/erase cycle count per block is rated at 5000, but this is simply a rough specification and a lot of blocks will sustain many more cycles than that. Keep a track of your Program Failure Block Count and Erase Failure Block Count SMART attributes. Once these start to climb sharply you will want to think about getting a new drive.
October 24, 2010 2:25:19 PM

Thank you very much. I'm relieved!
November 1, 2010 6:04:34 PM

Best answer selected by Dolphin975.
!