Intel vs AMD

ICECREAM

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hi, sorry to be a bit of a n00b on this, but im looking for a laptop, and have narrowed it down to 2 choices.

HEWLETT PACKARD DV6920EA vs DV51110EM

Both are pretty much the same, except for the processer and the graphics cards. (also the 6920EA is 0.5kg heavier)

Here are the specs:
DV6920EA
Processor Type INTEL CORE 2 DUO T5750
Graphics Card Type Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS
Processor speed 2000
Memory Size 3 GB MB
Memory Type DDR2
Hard Drive Capacity 250 GB
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1947815471.1240182864@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecadegmmggjffcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&category_oid=-28487&sku=559737&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

DV51110EM
Processor Type AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Processor RM72
Processor speed 2.10 Ghz
Memory Size 2 GB MB
Memory Type DDR 2
Hard Drive Capacity 250 GB
Optical Drives BLU RAY ROM
Screen Size/Type 15.4" High Definition display
Graphics Card Type ATI Radeon 3450
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0027474409.1240176732@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecadegmmggjffcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=657233&category_oid=-28487

So my question is, which would i be better off with? Id only probably play games like Battlefield 2142.

PLEASE any help would be much appreciated!!

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Well the intel build will be faster and has more memory but the 3450 is a better video card. What is the HDD RPM of each?

And FYI... gaming on a laptop isn't that great of an idea. Buy your laptop based on other criteria such as price, warranty, and battery life and then just play whatever games will run well on it.

+1 for the Intel build.

Neither of these notebooks are that great for games, however. It's likely you'll be pretty disappointed with both. What does your budget look like?

Gaming on a notebook can be done, so long as you've got $1300 or more. Below that, you start to suffer.

pat

Expert
the optical blu-ray for the amd get my vote.. especially with the HDMI interface that will allow it to be connecteed to a hdtv and be used as an hd player too. just find a cheap remote control to be used with.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

That is by far the best way to go atm...you can have your portable machine on the go and your power house at home....as a matter of fact i just sold my msi wind U100 that was running osx and xp..its a great netbook but i got my desktop and ended up not needing much portability so i sold it :D

I recommend you check out the about to be released U123 and already released U100

If you have any questions visit me at the msi netbook forums and you can see if it would be the right choice for you :D

Site - http://forums.msiwind.net

Me - http://forums.msiwind.net/member6996/

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I would probably go with the AMD machine. There probably isn't a huge difference in performance between the 2 processors, but the AMD has a better video card. Since you will be playing FPS on this laptop, the video card will be important. As far as the ram goes you can always buy more ram fairly cheap to upgrade. You can get a 4gig kit for under 100.00. That's way cheaper than trying to upgrade the graphics. Not to mention having bluray is a bonus.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Get an Intel. Tom's Hardware did a test and an Intel dual core beat an AMD quad (mind you the clocks of the processors weren't the same but a dual core shouldn't beat a quad.)

jennyh

Splendid

That depends entirely on what is being tested. There are plenty of Core 2 Duo's that beat I7's in a lot of tests because most apps still aren't optimised for quad core. It has nothing to do with intel v amd, it's about higher clock speed winning.

ICECREAM

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Sorry guys i should have mentioned that BOTH have blu-ray and HDMI outputs!

But thanks for all of you help!

I already have a desktop, but its weak and decided on a laptop as I needed to make space in my room, and see it as more convenient.

The two i narrowed it down to were there because they are both £410GBP, very similar, with only the weight, processor, and graphics card being the deciders.

From all you responses, theres no clear winner as some people have said the AMD and some the intel!

So if i was going to go on battery life and weight, the AMD would win.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Check the OS as well, at that pricepoint i would expect it to be Vista Basic but if one has premium then that would swing it for me.
I just got the wife one and i know its differant given differant stores etc but we looked in PC world/Commet and Currys. For my money Currys (which seems like a sister to PC World) had the best choice/value. Also the guy didnt give us any flannel. If i asked a question he didnt know the answer to he said so and let me check through the laptops settings etc. In PC world i got fobbed of with rubish and Currys well the least said the better.
We aimed at around £500 but ended up spending £600 rather than have a machine that would be rubish in 6 months.

Mactronix

pat

Expert
The HD decoder of the AMD machine is better and use less CPU ressources than on the Intel. And gaming with the AMD video card will be a better experience than with the Intel.