Not Stable Even At Stock Speeds

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
So Iv been trying to OC my i5 760 to 3.8GHz from 2.8 without Prime95 detecting an error. I didnt even have luck with 3.6GHz without P95 detecting some kind of error.

So I said, what the hell lets see if my computer is stable even at stock speeds of 2.8GHz running at .8-1V core voltage (intel's auto voltage option turned on).

I let this run overnight, and find that one one of the cores stopped because of some error that Prime95 found.

So what the hell could even be causing the stock speed of my 760 to not run properly?

*edit* heres my specs-

CPU- i5 760
CUP Cooler- Hyper 212+
GPU- GTX 460 1GB
Mobo- Gigabyte P55A-UD3
HDD- Seagate 1TB
RAM- Mushkin 4GB
Case- CM HAF 912

Im running around 20C idle right now, and under load (2.8GHz) I run 35-40C

Solution
The issue is likely a memory settings/voltage/badstick issue.

Clear CMOS, load/save BIOS defaults. Check memory voltage and timings in BIOS so that they match your memory's specs. Other than that possible change, leave absolutely stock and run P95 again, overnight.

If it fails again (rounding error? hardware error?), try a one-increment memory voltage increase, relaxed memory timings, or stress with single stick(s) to find/correct problem.`

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Need a few more details, was this a pre-built machine or did you build yourself? Also, what type of cooling do you have for the CPU? The best bet would be to default your motherboard to stock settings and test again, if that does not help, might want to start looking into re-seating the heatsink/fan with a fresh application of thermal material...

The issue is likely a memory settings/voltage/badstick issue.

Clear CMOS, load/save BIOS defaults. Check memory voltage and timings in BIOS so that they match your memory's specs. Other than that possible change, leave absolutely stock and run P95 again, overnight.

If it fails again (rounding error? hardware error?), try a one-increment memory voltage increase, relaxed memory timings, or stress with single stick(s) to find/correct problem.`

Solution

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
ok I added my specs in the original post.

The settings on the mobo should be all default though. I did tinker around with them a lot but I set everything back to normal when I ran this test.

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

ah so, by setting voltage and timings in the BIOS to the actual specs, do you mean the specs on the actual box/details the retailer has them at?

Yes. In the process, you may see your BIOS didn't correctly read/set those specs, and that may be the cause of your problem.

Depending on your BIOS, it may be better to load defaults, boot to Windows, and check memory settings via CPUID's CPU-z. Then, if necessary, go back to BIOS and set the correct spec.

In any case, confirm BIOS = correct memory spec, as on the box, before P95.

Also, please be a bit more specific about your memory spec (on the box), and any error message you next receive from P95.