CPU Temps with Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi guys, I just bought and installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus cooler, and I need to know if the temps that I'm getting are the right ones:

Processor: Intel i7 930 @ 2.80Ghz
Ram: 6GB Corsair Dominator @ 1600Mhz

Program used: SpeedFan 4.42
TEMPS:
System: 31°C
CPU: 28°C
Core 0: 43°C
Core 1: 43°C
Core 2: 41°C
Core 3: 41°C

Now, I remember that with my stock cooler my temps were like 50°C, and I thought that temperatures were going to decrease at least at 35° with this new cooler... Do you think those temps are ok or something is not right???

Thanks

PD: Those temps are on IDLE, just like listening to music, chatting, and navigating the internet... (normal things)

Solution
The i7-9xx series processors can handle up to 100 C core temperatures, The overall maximum processor case temperature is considerably lower - 67.9 C according to Intel. If you're talking core temperatures, anything below 70 is fine, and < 80 is reasonable for continuous use. I don't think you have anything to worry about,but if you want to improve the temps by 3~6C the only thing i would suggest is better thermal paste.Remember not every chip is the same and some may run cooler then others

EDIT; one more thing i want to mention is actual surface of the chip,next time you take of your heatsink ..clean the chip with rubbing alcohol and look for surface imperfections..it should flat,I use metal scale and look for gaps,pits and valleys...

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
No I did not make any comparison, but with what I remember from the other cooler, Idle was like 50°C and playing some games it was like 65°C... The thing is that I've seen in some posts, people saying that their Intel i7 processors with this exact cooler that I have now (Hyper 212 plus) are working at Idle around 30°-35°C, and full load is like 50°C...

Now, what programs would you recommend me to use in order to check my CPU temperature?...

Thanks for you answer

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

You can have the exact same cpu-cpu freq-heatsink-fan combo on 2 separate rigs and still get different temps on each of them. You have to take into account may other factors like the case used, tha case fans, cable management, and even the size, shape and position of other components (like if you have a pair of gtx480 SLI inside you can bet that your cpu temps will go up as well). Also one rig might be in Florida the other one in Syberia, or in one rig a newbie applied the thermal paste, in the other an expert. The temps you read in other posts are more like guidelines.

As for programs to use for cheking temps? They all work pretty much the same, you wont have huge differences between software (1-2 degrees at most). I myself use Hardware Monitor.

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for the answers, I think I didn't applied the Thermal Paste very well, that could be one of the problems too, and as tstng said, I'm more like the newbie type applying this kind of things.

I downloaded some programs and they are all giving me almost the same reads, I don't like my temps though, but well, I will re-apply Thermal compound now that I've seen some videos and see if the temps drop a little more.

And my other computer parts to take into account are:
Video card: ATI 5770 (just one)
Case: Thermaltake Element G

Thanks.

ART [Ambient Room Temperature] Is a very important missing factor in what others have reported performance wise with any air cooling solution, the only way to make even a close comparison is if their ART and internal computer airflow is exactly the same as yours.

tentaxlbunga

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hyper212+ are great product, but you can't expect all of hyper212+ will have the same performance cooling. I personally use that 212+ for both of my PC, each running phenomII-X3 720BE at 3.95. since i live in Indonesia with Yearly ambient room temperature at 27-33C (My room have no aircon), it still capable to cool down one of my PhenomII-X3 to 30-C at iddle and 42C at full load using prime95 with some photoshop render. (Both PC using exactly the same spesification)
But the other pc run warmer at 35C idlle and 46C at full load no matter how i try to re-seat, reapply the thermal paste and others.
So yes, i think your temps are normal if that's the best you can have.

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Today I tested the Hyper 212 while I was playing some other powerful games, and my temps at full load while playing were around 60°C, I dont know what my room temp was exactly, but it was a pretty normal temperature.

By replacing the old cooler with this one, Im getting just like 5° less than before, and I dont think thats a very good deal, I'm pretty sure I applied the Thermal Paste in the wrong way, so I will try to apply it again, hopefully I will get at least maximum temps of 50° at full and 40° idle...

Would it make a difference if I'm running RAM at 1600Mhz???, I remember that I was running my RAM at 1066Mhz and it was like 3°-5°C less.

Thanks

Is heat from your memory being drawn into the CPU intake?

If it is consider adding a booster fan., if you can.

It will increase the cooler air directly supplied to the CMH212+, and cool the ram at the same time.

BoosterFan.jpg

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Ok this is my PC, as you can see, it has good cable management, so I think airflow inside of it works pretty well.
My RAM slots feels cold when I touch them, so I don't think they are producing to much heat, and also the left side panel has a 230mm fan that INTAKES cold air, and still getting ugly temps xD

Thanks.

jhatfie

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I am using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus with my i5-750 @ 4.0Ghz (1.3v). With just the single stock fan I idle at around 35-37c on each core as measured through coretemp. Load testing with OCCT or Prime95, I see temps reach as high as 62-64C (varies per core) after a couple hours. Office room temp is roughly 20-21C this time of year. Adding a second Cooler Master fan only dropped temps another 2C but increased noise a fair bit, so I took it off.

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I took out my cooler, and I re applied the Thermal Paste again after cleaning the surface of my processor and heatsink, this time I used the 2 lines method on the heatsink and placed it again on my processor. Check Temps:

IDLE:
Core #0:42°C
Core #1:41°C
Core #2:41°C
Core #3:38°C

I also downloaded Prime95 and run a load test for 1 hour exactly, my higher temps were 73°, and my processor was almost always all the time at 71° while running it. But I still think that those temperatures are still too high for an i7 @ 2.80Ghz, I really thought the Hyper 212+ was going to make a better job.

Thanks

PD: My room temp was around 24°C all the time.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I would suggest downloading HW Monitor , SpeedFan 4.42 (it may be ok for controlling fans but i would never use it for my core temps).
What type of thermal paste are you using ? Try to slow down or turn off the exhaust fan on top..it may be sucking air away from the heatsink

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I'm now using HW Monitor to check my temps, and those are the ones I posted.
The Thermal Paste that I used was the one that came with the Hyper 212+, it's the Cooler Master one.

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

CPU-z is telling me 0.976V, sometimes it goes up to 1.136V, like when i open programs and stuff, but lets say it is between that range.

DRAM Frequency is 534.5Mhz

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
The i7-9xx series processors can handle up to 100 C core temperatures, The overall maximum processor case temperature is considerably lower - 67.9 C according to Intel. If you're talking core temperatures, anything below 70 is fine, and < 80 is reasonable for continuous use. I don't think you have anything to worry about,but if you want to improve the temps by 3~6C the only thing i would suggest is better thermal paste.Remember not every chip is the same and some may run cooler then others

EDIT; one more thing i want to mention is actual surface of the chip,next time you take of your heatsink ..clean the chip with rubbing alcohol and look for surface imperfections..it should flat,I use metal scale and look for gaps,pits and valleys ...the best conduction of heat occurs when metal touches metal,same applys to heatsink,you can fix this by lapping

Solution

mkchampion14

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Ummm...I have the same heatsink and processor in an Antec 600 case
Before Overclocking 2.8GHZ, 0.97v (You should try undervolting lol):
Core 1: 33 C idle, 48 after 6 hours Prime95
Core 2: 31 C idle. 46 " " " " "
Core 3: 32 C idle, 45 " " " " "
Core 4: 29 C idle, 43 " " " " "
after OC'ing to 3.5GHz 1.13v:
Core 1: 37-38 idle, ~64 after 6 hours Prime95
Core 2: 34-35 idle, ~61 after 6 hours Prime95
Core 3: 36-37 idle, ~58 after 6 hours Prime95
Core 4: 31-32 idle, ~55 after 6 hours Prime95

Ambient temperatures range from 23 C in winter to almost 27 C in the summer, the load temps maximum are in summer with RealTemp...
Like I said, consider undervolting. The Hyper 212 plus is a GREAT cooler
My case has pretty good airflow (I think lol) and the fan is unobstructed runs at around 1100 ROM idle, and goes to almost 2000 during Prime95...

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
WOW, those are the Temps that I want to get, but I haven't done any changes that's the weird thing, I mean, any changes in voltages, those are the voltages that my mobo and processor started by default, I haven't overclocked anything because I'm afraid I might damage the processor.

How could I undervoltage my processor if it is on AUTO in my mobo?

Whats the normal voltage that I should be getting with my processor at 2.8Ghz?

Thanks!.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
You have to go to BIOS and set them properly ,your multiplier,CPU V CORE,etc
or Load Fail-Safe Defaults (Fail-Safe defaults are factory settings for the most stable, minimal-performance system operations.)
Load Optimized Defaults in bios (Optimized defaults are factory settings for optimal-performance system operations.)

mkchampion14

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Sorry for the late reply I have been out of town.....
The voltage for i7 at 2.8 GHz at stock is usually about 1.2v which is SUPER high that's the kind of voltage you would want at 3.7-3.9 GHz depending on how good your mobo is.
I undervolted to 0.97v stable 24 hours prime95 (then overclocked later cause I'm just weird that way). My mobo is an Asus p6t (not deluxe) so it's not really the best.

Take a look at this, it's a "professional review":
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/intel_core_i7_930_review/3
They're using a much better system than me though :)

EDIT: in the BIOS just put in the number you want, and use the above review as a guide to how low you can push the voltages.
Also, invest in some ARCTIC SILVER 5 (like me) it could make a HUGE difference....the 3.5g bottle on newegg is about 5-7 dollars