Sign in with
Your question
Solved

All games crash - stumped

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2009 1:48:29 AM

Specs:
Windows XP professional 32bit (unfortunately)
Intel Q6600 quad 2.4GHz
4GB ddr3 OCZ fatal1ty (XP eats 1.25GB so it only shows 2.75GB)
ASUS EAH3870x2 1GB 512bit video card
Corsair 620W PSU
750GB Hitachi HDD
80GB Raptor HDD
Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R/DS3 mobo
19" NEC Multisync LCD
21.5" Samsung SyncMaster

ALL of my games crash at or just after the load screen. It'll crash to desktop and throw off my resolution and colors and usually turn off one of my monitors, sometimes both, sometimes it'll leave one monitor running but totally unreadable (mass vertical lines) I've run memtest, scandisk, spysweeper, defrag... the works. I've tried the driver from the ATI site and the ASUS site. I've narrowed it down to my video card or my PSU. The PSU I have been told is very reliable and should have no problems whatsoever...and I bought the video card open box. Which makes me think it could be something with the card. I have two six pins in the card instead of a six and an eight but the last two pins are just grounds and shouldn't matter since I don't OC at all. Another odd thing is that everest and speedfan don't register a GPU temp. And Smartdoctor doesn't register the card at all. The card doesn't seem to get overly hot either. In 3Dmark06 it'll crash partway through the third series of tests (the water dragon one) even though it'll flow totally smooth up till that point.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm beyond stumped.

More about : games crash stumped

April 20, 2009 3:01:27 AM

I was going with the video card right up until you said the 3rd test on 3dmark06... While I'm still not convinced it's not your video card... I had the same issue in the same test but the only difference was that my pc would shut off completely during that test... Your not running vista so you can't run the Vista score your pc test (which also shut my pc down as well after awhile) I posted on the boards here and came to the conclusion that it ended up being my PSU.. I had just upgraded my video cards and underestimated the amount of power they sucked up... You have a quality PSU unit but have you used any of the decent wattage calculators out there? I've seen a difference of up to 3 to 400 watts but thats all relative considering wattage isn't as important and the amps on the 12v rails... Your corsair 620 should push your system w/o problem imho.... But you never know....

As far as your Video card, I have had some go bad but usually I wouldn't get an app crash, I would mainly get a ton of screen corruption ie green squares all over the screen then it would eventually app crash, but it would give me a tell tail sign that something was malfuntioning... Have your run Prime95 yet? If I'm not mistaken that completely stresses your CPU/Memory but leaves video alone... which would rule out those two items off the bat... as far as not having the correct plugs in your card I'm by far no expert on the subject of how the card is built but I'm a firm believer that they put those on there for a reason. Or you just could have got a bogus open box video card deal that someone else had the exact same issues and returned it... If it boots windows It woudn't surprise me that a store would put it back on the shelf instead of benchmarking the card to see if it would fail....

Not sure if I helped you but I hope ya get it fixed.
m
l
April 20, 2009 3:42:55 AM

I ran Prime95 till I got bored of it ;)  everything worked just fine.

I tried running the Score test on Win7 (I've got it on my raptor but my campus doesn't support internet on Win7 so I hardly ever use it) and it said it couldn't get the info, which goes right along with the problems i've been having with Smartdoctor and everest and speedfan...

I've run Wattage Calculators a few times, messing with the settings I get 550 at most.

Only reason I don't have the 8 pin is I couldn't find an adapter (besides ordering online) and was told it wouldn't matter, I'll probably end up buying one just in case.

I'll double check that windows score thing on Win7 for kicks

thanks for your suggestions.
m
l
Related resources
April 20, 2009 6:45:20 AM

See if Gigabyte's Easy Tune 6 can monitor the card at all. Key thing to watch for when monitoring, aside from the temps, is the 12V current level to see if it dips under load. If while under load it were to show any change in voltage greater than .25 volts, that would be an indicator you've got an inadequate supply of 12V power.

However, from the sound of things thus far, such as the card manufacturer's own software not being able to recognize it, I'd say that the card is likely defective.
m
l
April 20, 2009 1:48:55 PM

stkyle said:
Only reason I don't have the 8 pin is I couldn't find an adapter (besides ordering online) and was told it wouldn't matter, I'll probably end up buying one just in case.

Can't help you with your original problem. However, about the 4 to 8 pin adapter, whoever told you that it wouldn't matter gave you good advice.

A while back, motherboard makers went from a 4 pin EPS connector to an 8 pin connector. Some of the CPU chips need lots of power (Pentium D's come to mind). The current will be limited by the 4 conductor EPS line. Using an 8 pin adapter will not increase your available 12 volt current.
m
l
April 20, 2009 2:19:14 PM

I think you're right about it being the video card.

Borrow a different video card and test.
m
l
April 20, 2009 6:03:30 PM

Well that's a horribly depressing thought. Now I know ...Open box = gamble and to test my system for it's purpose before it's too late :/ 

I built this system over winter break and my winter quarter was hard as hell...So I never played any games...until now, 4 months later :*(

I'll borrow my friend's card sometime, probably next weekend and see if that works.

...I thought I had been saving $250, instead I might have paid $200 for nothing...is there anything I can do if is the card?
m
l
April 20, 2009 6:05:02 PM

**blows horn** TAX RETURN! TO MEEEEEE, I NEED YOUR HELP!
m
l
April 20, 2009 6:05:26 PM

Should be covered by manufacturer's warranty regardless of purchasing it "open box" or fully sealed. What brand is it?

NM. I see, ASUS.

What's your location?
m
l
April 20, 2009 6:33:10 PM

California
m
l

Best solution

April 20, 2009 6:54:26 PM

Thank goodness you're not in Europe... Contact ASUS via this website:
http://livesupport.asus.com/
You should be able to speak to an agent almost right away using their live support feature. However, you will need the part's serial number, which you may or may not be able to see while the card is in your system. Just make sure to get it beforehand.
April 20, 2009 7:28:54 PM

Great! Thank you very much, I'll do that asap
m
l
!