Temperature Monitor Applications not Recognizing Quad Core Processor

Charly Brown

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Hello,

I just changed my old Intel Dual Core E6750 Core 2 processor for a Quad Core Q6600 processor. I just finished the upgrade and everything seems to be working fine, with the only exception that temperature monitor applications such as speedFan, CPUID HWMonitor and Core Temp don’t recognize the 4 cores but just 2 of them, 0 and 1. Core Temp goes as far as to say my processor is a Conroe E6600!. Even Nvidia System monitor sees only 2 cores, and a Vista Gadget, CPU Usage, only sees 2 cores also

The only one that seems to get it partly right is CPU-Z, which correctly recognizes a Kentsfield Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 as the processor but at the very end where it says “Selection” it says Cores 2, threads 2. I’ve seen CPU-Z print outs for Q6600 and they say at that section Cores 4, Thread 4

I flashed the BIOS to the latest version before installing the processor, also downloaded the latest nForce driver. The applications were running before I changed the CPU, so I uninstalled them and reinstalled them with the new quad and nothing seems to work, no way I can see the 4 cores.

What am I missing? Why I can’t see the 4 cores? What do I need to do? Below is a link to the CPU-Z print out, and my system specs

Mother Board: EVGA 680i SLI 122-CK-NF68
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Memory: 4Gb Corsair DDR2 800 (PC6400), 2 sticks of 2 GB each
GPU: EVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB (tomorrow upgrading to GTX-275 896 MB)

Your help is greatly appreciated

Charly

CPU-Z.jpg

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Have you tried any other temp monitoring software. Maybe like Core Temp. That's whay I use to monitor CPU temps. If 2 applications are showing the same problem.

Core Temp gives a visual display of CPU usage as well. So if the temp isn't reading - you can at least see if 4 cores are being used on the display.

Charly Brown

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

I have Core Temp installed and only shows 2 cores. It's even saying my processor is a Conroe E6600 which is not true. Could this mean the other two cores are not being used? What do I need to do so they're used?

Charly Brown

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Ok, the recognition of the 4 cores is resolved. I had to unistall the cores on the device manager and resintall new drivers for the CPU.

It works fine except for random freezes when I login into Vista with my ID (only happens with my ID), and they are freezes not BSODs, nothing works, not even C-A-D. I have to reset the PC using the button in the fornt and the it loads fine. It's like two boots are needed. What could it be?