Trouble Installing Vista 64 bit on Sata Hard Disk

My new build consists of a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L motherboard, a Q8200 CPU, 4 gigs of G Skill ram, a HIS Radeon 4850 Turbo GPU and a single Western Digital Caviar 80 gig SATA hard drive.

When I try to install my OS, Vista is unable to locate a drive on which to be installed. My problem seems specific to Vista since, as far as I can tell, bios recognizes all of my components as working with no problems.

I've read on some forums that perhaps I need to install some kind of SATA controller drivers, but from my understanding, that would only be the case if I were running a RAID array.

Any suggestions?
8 answers Last reply
More about trouble installing vista sata hard disk
  1. If you have a Windows XP disk, use it to format the SATA HD. Then Vista 64 installation will recognize the formatted SATA HD no problem. The Vista 64 install on a SATA HD problem is a known issue.
  2. If you don't have a Windows XP disk, download Ultimate Boot CD and use it to format the HD.
  3. Or try setting the sata compatibility to ide in your BIOS, it worked for me.
  4. Thanks guys, the XP disk worked like a charm. Any idea why Vista has this problem?
  5. Not really... You'd expect them to catch a bug like this in QA. Glad to hear it worked :)
  6. So, maybe you folks can help me with another question I've got then. The reason I bought such a small hard drive was because a) I wanted to bring down my bottom line and b) I had planned on installing the drive from my previous rig in my new PC. However, I seem to have hit a wall because the motherboard does not detect the new drive at all. I should point out that it is an older IDE drive that I have connected to a ribbon cable shared with my optical drive. To the best of your knowledge, do these things pose an issue?

Much love, people.

:)
  7. Your computer should detect the drive just fine. Are you sure the jumpers on the HD and optical drive are set correctly? You didn't miss a power cable did you? I've used 4 SATA HD's, 2 SATA optical drives, and one old IDE HD at the same time in my HTPC so I know it's possible.
  8. Actually, you should set all SATA hard drives as "ACHI" in the BIOS for Vista. Vista prefers that - especially for eSATA.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build SATA Windows Vista Hard Drives Systems