Tags:
  • New Build
  • SATA
  • Windows Vista
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 28, 2009 2:56:13 PM

My new build consists of a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L motherboard, a Q8200 CPU, 4 gigs of G Skill ram, a HIS Radeon 4850 Turbo GPU and a single Western Digital Caviar 80 gig SATA hard drive.

When I try to install my OS, Vista is unable to locate a drive on which to be installed. My problem seems specific to Vista since, as far as I can tell, bios recognizes all of my components as working with no problems.

I've read on some forums that perhaps I need to install some kind of SATA controller drivers, but from my understanding, that would only be the case if I were running a RAID array.

Any suggestions?

More about : trouble installing vista bit sata hard disk

March 28, 2009 3:50:28 PM

If you have a Windows XP disk, use it to format the SATA HD. Then Vista 64 installation will recognize the formatted SATA HD no problem. The Vista 64 install on a SATA HD problem is a known issue.
March 28, 2009 10:55:55 PM

If you don't have a Windows XP disk, download Ultimate Boot CD and use it to format the HD.
Related resources
March 29, 2009 1:03:26 AM

Or try setting the sata compatibility to ide in your BIOS, it worked for me.
March 31, 2009 2:37:21 AM

Thanks guys, the XP disk worked like a charm. Any idea why Vista has this problem?
March 31, 2009 1:08:40 PM

Not really... You'd expect them to catch a bug like this in QA. Glad to hear it worked :) 
April 1, 2009 1:49:37 AM

So, maybe you folks can help me with another question I've got then. The reason I bought such a small hard drive was because a) I wanted to bring down my bottom line and b) I had planned on installing the drive from my previous rig in my new PC. However, I seem to have hit a wall because the motherboard does not detect the new drive at all. I should point out that it is an older IDE drive that I have connected to a ribbon cable shared with my optical drive. To the best of your knowledge, do these things pose an issue?

Much love, people.

:) 
April 1, 2009 4:09:47 AM

Your computer should detect the drive just fine. Are you sure the jumpers on the HD and optical drive are set correctly? You didn't miss a power cable did you? I've used 4 SATA HD's, 2 SATA optical drives, and one old IDE HD at the same time in my HTPC so I know it's possible.
April 9, 2009 4:14:45 PM

Actually, you should set all SATA hard drives as "ACHI" in the BIOS for Vista. Vista prefers that - especially for eSATA.
!