Which Temp is right?

pimpzilla1212

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Hello Guys,

I bought a I7 950, and a cool master hyper 212 + Cooler, with a Asrock x58 Extreme mobo. i have a issue, when i check my CPU temp through coretemp or real temp i get somewhere around 60-64'c under load .. but under the Asrock OC tuner Software, i get around 50-52'c under load... runing prime95 max heat...

now im lost, i wanna OC, but dont know which one to trust.. i dont wanna go beyond 70C under load, so my question is , which one do i trust.?
CPU_heat

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
@OP the best way to check your temps is by going to the bios at complete idle and compare to real temp in windows.The most reliable programs for monitoring temps would be HWmonitor and everest ultimate.

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I actually had the same problem yesterday. I was looking at SpeedFan for my temps and it said I was idling at 10-15C and 30C under load.

I was really excited, then I downloaded HWmonitor because the OC'ing guide recommended it, and come to find out I idle at 25C and 45C under load.

That burst my bubble...

To the OP, I 2nd this suggestion, your safest bet is to check your BIOS idle temp and see which program reports that same idle temp increased by 8c to 10c in the running operating system, your BIOS idle temp will normally increase at least by 8c, and usually around 10c, when the operating system is running.

At least that way which ever temperature reporting program you're using in the operating system should be reporting close to that expected idle increase, and you should be OK trusting that.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

I did mention "complete idle" there for after OS load and nothing running on the background periot,you still won't be 100% sure but the easy way out of this is HWmonitor and everest ultimate