M4a78 motherboard memory question

xc_champ_mike

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
i have a asus m4a78 plus mobo and phenom 9850 x4 proc
and 2x 2gb sticks of ocz 1066 pc8500 memory.

according to asus website and other sources
* Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+/AM3 CPU for one DIMM per channel only.

since i built my pc a month ago i have only had 800mhz speed from my memory but the way this is written it looks like i should be able to get 1066 out of 2 sticks of memory one in each channel, but still have no luck at getting my memorys full potential. im new to pc building and if anyone has any suggestions i greatly appreciate it.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I would suggest a quick trip to Memory section of the forum where this problem(and solution) was explained many many many many many MAAAAAANY times :)

Without any details - you need to set your memorys speed, voltage and timings manually in bios in order to get 1066. For more info go to memory section.

xc_champ_mike

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
ok, im a beginner at this, spent 4 hours tonight tinkering and researching but still no luck
so i guess the timing should be 5-5-5-15
and the voltage 2.2, and the speed 533mhz
i now know that the modules should be inserted in slots A1 and B1 which are side by side in the two yellow slots
ive heard something about ganged and unganged. what is this, which one do i need, and how would i set it.
also should i choose "dct 0" "dct 1" or "both" under dram timing
i heard people talking about cr rate (1T or 2T) how do i know where and how to set this correctly
ive tried setting the memory speed, timing and voltage to the settings above but it never boots to windows.
any suggestions. should i slowly change the voltage one increment at a time, or use a different timing or another setting
not sure what settings to play with

thanks
mike

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
All the releveant info like timings should be printed on the modules. When youre in BIOS and you see the ram timings(First Information is the one you play with) they should be in the right order from top to bottom, so the first four are the ones you change(5-5-5-15 if thats what they are). I would try one ram stick at a time to rule out that one of them is actually bad.
Im not sure about ganged/unganged as I dont play with AMD myself so I only know it from other peoples posts but I think ganged is the way to go. I would also suggest going to OCZ forums and posting your problem there.