AMD Phenom II TWKR Edition Article

MomoCC

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
1_thumb.jpg

Overall, I am not that proud of the frequencies I achieved with the Phenom II TWKR Edition, however I do not put the fault on the processor. In fact, I was very impressed by the low voltage required by the X4 42 and I am sure it will perform much better on a more adequate test setup. I thought using the ASUS M4N82 Deluxe would have been a great idea because it performed well for overclocking on air cooling, but it was not the case under dry ice. Furthermore, I began to miss the AMD Overdrive software, as it cannot be used on NVIDIA chipsets. It really gives a big helping hand normally.

Also, we saw that dry ice is still far from what the TWKR needs to demonstrate its real power. When I was raising the voltages beyond 1.60V, I felt the processor became too warm for its liking. At the same clock speeds, it was more stable at lower voltages, around 1.50V than around 1.60V. Unfortunately I still need to acquire one piece of equipment to be able to run liquid nitrogen, but if can get it in the following weeks, I will make sure to test the TWKR properly and update my article, as this benchmarking session sincerely has left me hungry.

In conclusion, those getting their hands on one of these limited edition processors must make sure to exploit its potential. These units are not meant to be overclocked on air only. The potential of these great chips can only be revealed by low temperatures. So to those who get the chance to play with one, I say: Have fun!
Would've been interesting to see actual application benchmarks. In any case, anyone here got one?
Source

I don't think anyone here or outside the OCing community will get one. Why would you want one that is known for super high leakage that will kill it super fast?

Besides, only 100 of these got produced. The rest went in the trash bin or into the tricore/low end quad bin.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Holy...

Imagine how well these will undervolt and underclock!

And then I would sell it to a idiot for a really high price ($1K+) and buy me a new PC with a Core i7 920 instead so I can OC it to near 4GHz on air and not worry about it melting.

Then again I am not a crazy LN2 OCer.

THG reviewers deliberately clock AMD cpu's lower than any other tech site.

Converesely, they avhieve the highest overclocks seen anywhere on INTEL cpu's.

Funny bout that ...

Prove me wrong

/challenge

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Hmm... I'd rather get it running on without a fan.