Airflow with occupied drive bays

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cases
  • Aerocool
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 2, 2010 4:42:37 PM

So i just recently bought parts home for a brand new computer.

I got the Aerocool touch 2000 aswell, pretty much suckered in by the bling. So i have the Haf-X case and the Noctua D14. If i use the top 4 drive bays, will i get worse airflow in my case, as in will it be noticeable?

Also, the HAF-X case comes with additional USB 1 and 2 ports, FireWire, green port for sound and so on, but so does the AeroCool 2000. How do i go about, and hook them all up at once?

More about : airflow occupied drive bays

a c 249 K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 10:05:29 AM

Quote:
If i use the top 4 drive bays, will i get worse airflow in my case, as in will it be noticeable?

If you want front to rear airflow obstructing the top 4 will seriously affect a good airflow, that's really a no brainer when you look at the motherboard mounting position, use the bottom 4 and leave the top 2 airflow open.

Quote:
Also, the HAF-X case comes with additional USB 1 and 2 ports, FireWire, green port for sound and so on, but so does the AeroCool 2000. How do i go about, and hook them all up at once?

Depending on your motherboard connections available you may simply be forced to use one or the other.
a c 337 K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 12:43:32 PM

^Quite true.

To be honest, most don't use that fan controller...too much bling, and too big for simply controlling fans. Regardless, it's your purchase, so we'll do our best to help.

The question is, in mounting the fan controller, are you removing any fans in the process? If not, then you are probably not going to notice much difference. If they are those 'vented' drive bays, I would assume there are no fans. Plus, it looks like there is a large side fan and room for 2 large top exhaust fans. I'd actually add fans to the top which would make a bigger difference than the meshed drive bays in the front being left in place.
Related resources
December 4, 2010 7:04:52 PM

Not removing any fans to install anything in the drivebays. When im done i will have 2 x 200 mm fans with nothing for, theres no mounting holes in front of the hdd bays, or at the drive bays, how do people usually do? Just drill holes?
!