rjbudz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I have an ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe / HDMI motherboard with an AMD 9600 AM2+ chip. Something weird is going on. When I'm playing Oblivion (and only this game), a very video and system intensive game, my system (running XP) will intermittently lock up. The screen will go black and be totally unresponsive. When I pull the plug, wait 30 secs or so, plug it in and restart, I get a message telling my my BIOS has lost its settings. I can go into setup, just save & exit, then the system will boot as normal. Recently, it wouldn't boot up at all. It powers up but nothing appears on the screen. I striped my system down to just the video card (and put a different video card in it). Nothing. I then pulled the motherboard battery and put it back in. The system booted up fine. Of course I had to reset everything in setup, but it's been fine, though I haven't played the game.

I ran a memory checker, and everything was fine. I don't know if this makes any difference, but I recently had a power supply problem, a rather weird one that affected the sound card, which I removed and used the built-in one. Same problem.

The new power supply is fine, the sound card is working fine.

Any ideas? I love my game and don't want to stop playing it!

rjbudz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
That seems to have fixed it, though the problem occurs randomly. I suspected the battery because it wasn't always certain of the BIOS data. I know system resources are being hogged by the game at the time of the crash. But what is the connection between the battery and the crashes?

Simply "pulling the plug" is about the fastest way I know of to corrupt a Windows installation. If you had to this a few times, I would highly suggest a complete reinstall of Windows, kind of start from scratch so to speak.
You do know that you can reboot from a hard lock by simply holding the power button in for about 5 seconds?

rjbudz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I think I have it figured out. Fortunately I'm running SLI nvidia cards. One of them may be bad. I'm still trying to crash Oblivion, but two days and it hasn't happened.