Sign in with
Your question

CPU and GPU Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
December 2, 2010 9:16:09 PM

I am current trying to find out my maximum overclocking for my system.
I built the computer myself with:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
MoBo: MSI NF980-G65
Ram: G.Skill 2X2X2 (4 sticks of 2GB) DDR3 1600 Ripjaw
GPU: GTX 460 Gigabyte 1GB
HDD: Raid 0 of 2x 500GB
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X Performa with extra fan (Rosewill RFA-120-RL)
Case: Rosewill Challenger (4/5 Fans Installed. Cant fit one of the sides because the CPU Cooler)

I'm trying to overclock pretty much everything and will ask all my questions here regarding it.
Hopefully a lot of people respond and help. XD.

First of all, I was able to overclock the GPU fairly easily with MSI Afterburner.
I overclocked the GTX460 which comes slightly OC-ed, but I increased Voltage to 1.05V, Core Clock to 875MHz, Shader Clock to 1750MHz, and Memory Clock to 2200MHz with no problem and no temperature problem. (Actually the fan rarely even goes past its minimum 40% and I've never seen it go above 50%, but yes it does work at 100%, I've tried it by forcing it to run at 100% just to make sure)

First, I tried OC-ing the CPU. I couldn't get it stable at 4000MHz or even at 3900 MHz, but could get it stable at 3806MHz exactly running on 1.501V. Ive been stress testing with Prime95 and have seen no problems for about an hour.
At Load, the temp reaches 46C and stays at 29C at rest.

I will try to OC the ram next. I have been using it at 1600 at 9-9-9-24, the stock settings, although I had to change the settings in the bios to get it to run at that speed.

Had anyone been able to oc a AMD 945 past 3800 MHz?
Has anyone been able to overclock these ram? If so, how high have you been able to overclock it?
Any how far can you normally OC HT Link and NB?
Any tips/suggestions on how far you've gotten yours OC-ed?

More about : cpu gpu overclocking

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2010 2:16:36 PM

Wow, i think your system is already "FLY"ing...
Why would you want to get pass 3.8GHz? It's already fast enough to play any games with any resolution...

Well, my E6300 (1.8GHz stock speed) can go up to 2.7GHz without raising the VCore and sit cool at 38'C (idle) stable...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2010 10:12:35 PM

Wow wa1, 900MHz OC without voltage increase? Nice chip you have there!!

Got to agree with him though drowsyman, why would you need to get to 4.0? You wouldn't really see any difference from 3.8GHz and it's just going to melt your chip to get stable (guessing you'd need 1.57v or something pretty risky).

Your RAM at 1600MHz is already very fast, and I would just keep it at stock. Either that, or bump the voltage a little and tighten your timings. Maybe 7-7-7-15 or something?

Don't just overclock for the sake of it - it's a quick way to fry something or start getting everything HOT. Looks like everything is already at sexy speeds etc - I'd leave it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 105 à CPUs
December 8, 2010 1:47:12 PM

Looks like you have done an excellent job! Time to rest on your laurels!
m
l
!