Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please help me find what memory my gfx card has

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2009 6:47:26 AM

Guys, sorry to sound a bit silly but I have this question which is doing my head in.

I purchased acer aspire g7200 (predator) pc yesturday. The graphics card on the spec sheet said it was an ATI Radion 4850 512. However I went to dxdiag and it stated that it had 1024 dedicated and a further 1780 (around) in shared memory. I have since installed the Catalyst drivers and it has changed this information to a more general "4800 series" with 2809 memory.

I have checked around the web, and ATI dont seem to offer a 4850 1024mb version.

I really do want to avoid taking the case off of the base unit just yet, but as far as I can see, it is connected into the PCI express socket and not straight into the motherboard. However having not bought a new PC for about 10 years I am not sure if this can mean it is not just using system memory.

I am at a loss here, and would be really grateful if you could tell me whats going on!

Thanks

Wayne

More about : find memory gfx card

April 20, 2009 6:53:02 AM

Use GPU-Z to find the info.
m
l
April 20, 2009 7:12:51 AM

ok thanks, I ran the utility, and it stated:

So have I simply got away with getting a better graphics card than I paid for? Or is their more to this? I am not sure why it says "2806 approx total graphics memory" in dxdiag though.
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
April 20, 2009 7:20:57 AM

Hyper Memory. It lets the video card try and claim some system memory to pipe it over to its frame buffer faster. No you can't disable it, but I guess you can try if you don't mind messing with the registry ^_^. It still stays enabled with the newer drivers though.
m
l
April 20, 2009 7:34:54 AM

nearly rewindlabs..but the one I paid for was:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/807769#pro...

same look etc, but some of the components are nto the same, that model has 2x512 gfx cards, and 8gb ram..

So guys, just to clarify, they have definatly given me a better graphics card than I paid for? Just so I know so I can close this topic.
m
l

Best solution

April 20, 2009 7:45:52 AM

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

Use that to get your gpu info...
April 20, 2009 8:15:51 AM

not so fast Rewindlabs! I caught your original unedited message and decided to just open the case and bloomin' well find out what it was for once and for all!

Anyway, turns out that it is actually a 1024 ati 4850. which is strange as I never knew they did a 4850 at 1024mb but there you go. I am certainly not complaining :) 

Thanks for your help guys :) 
m
l
!