Cpu overclock degration?

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
ive been reading alot that to get the full performance out of crossfireX and up requires the cpu to be overclock as high as 4.5ghz which is a little high for me since im no good at OC'ing past stock voltage (im on a 980x with a v6gt with its intake fan replaced with a delta 150cfm inside the silverstone rv02 case all fans upgraded) i currently have 1 asus ares 5870x2 and plan on getting another, if i were to OC up to 3.6 or 7 or maybe 8 how much does this lower my cpu's life spawn if at all? i want my computer to last as long as possible while keeping everything ice cold - i like keeping all my stuff at 45c and below but with all this hardware upgrading and upping all the setting on my games thats becoming difficult(plus its becoming winterish where i live and everyone in the house is too *** damn lazy to put a jacket on)

what exactly degrades components - heat or overclocking ????

I'd say:

#1 is excessive voltage past the spec'd range of the component, because that can damage a component and cause electrical migration even if the heat is kept down.

#2 is heat, component degradation is accelerated the hotter the environment it's running in.

#3 is borderline supplied power, if your power supply is stressed supplying the power your machine needs and is straining under load conditions, it not only can prematurely degrade and fail, but can take your whole system down with it.

Overclocking is safe as long as you understand what is going on when you decide to do it, all components have a safety margin some more than others that manufacturers have tested and recommended they be used at, overclocking is usually taking those factors past their safety recommendations.

A by product of doing that is extra heat that has to be compensated for usually with higher performance cooling solutions to offset the heat, however one of the biggest overlooked necessities is acquiring a power supply and taking into consideration not only the base power required for the entire hardware combination but also the additional overclock load to the power supply.

wesley-mcg-

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

wow thanks for that info ill probably stay at factory, what power supply do you think i should get? i was thinking about getting this antec 1200w psu that has up to 99% efficiency and has all the power connecters i need for my rig http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371043&cm_re=antec_1200-_-17-371-043-_-Product but i am afraid i might be pushing to its limit while silverstone has an 85% efficiency 1500w psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256054&cm_re=1500w-_-17-256-054-_-Product it doesnt come with enough power connectors, has an irregular plug and no on/off switch(which is weird it being the most power full psu on the market) i cant tell by the pictures on newegg if it only just comes with 4 x8pin and 4 x 6pin or is limited to that amount, if someone could help me out here plzzz

as for cooling i was thinking of cutting a hole in my desk having my computer sit over the hole and buying a 1000btu portable air conditioner so that only cold air could enter through my intake fans