Asus p5n-e and GTS 250 only displaying blank screen

bscottphillips

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I just got a new EVGA GTS 250 card for my current system with an Asus p5n-e motherboard. I can not get any video on my display. I tried a BFG GTS 250 with the same results. I have tried a different power supply, resetting all motherboard settings, installing the latest bios, and just about everything I can think of with no results. The computer boots into windows with no beeps but never displays anything. I even tried multiple monitors. Could it be that this particular graphics chip is not compatible with this motherboard? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Try a different card that is PCI-e 2.0 and see what happens (not another GTS 250) find what ever you can find to see if the results are different. If the other card fails to boot with your board but works on another then it is the board. Some boards are not PCI-e friendly (quirky ones). At least this is one issue I didn't have with my much older P5nsli (nforce4 xe) that runs hot enough for me to mod a socket a cooler that weighs half a kilo of solid copper with a 40mm 5k rpm fan. If you decide to get a better board get a 750i or a cheap 780i and just swap the boards (you won't have much need to reinstall your os unless you already have less usable ram than what is installed. PS the 780i gets hot so a fan mod is recommended.

bscottphillips

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Is your monitor plugged into you mobo or graphics card? (Yeah I've seen it)

Did you plug in the 6/8 pin power cable to the video card?

Does your psu have the 450w/24a power requirement?

How do you know its booting into windows if you cant see anything?

Thanks for the response. Monitor is plugged into the graphics card (I know what you mean, I have seen some amazing things as well :)

Card does use a 6 pin power cable and the fan spins up when I boot

PSU does have the power requirement and I tried another PSU that met the requirements as well

With the speakers on, I can hear the Windows chimes/sounds when windows gets to the desktop

I guess I will have to try different card other than a GTS 250. I have an EVGA GTS 8800 320mb card now. I don't quite have enough room for some of the larger cards (10'' or larger, only have room for about 9.5 or so)

Thanks again

bscottphillips

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

I have a RAIDMAX SAGITTA case and the hard drive is mounted in the bottom cage next to the video card. I would probably have to cut some metal to get anything larger than 10'' in there. One thing I didn't try was removing memory and trying to boot with 1 stick. I don't see how that would make a difference but at this point I guess it wouldn't hurt

bscottphillips

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
He said he tried 2 different brand cards, didnt you even read his post??

There's really no reason that card wont work unless its not getting the required amps. Are you sure it doesn't require a 8pin connector, cause my friend has a GTS250 and his is 8pin.

I think nforce4 was saying to try a card that is not a GTS 250. I have tried 3 of those (2 EVGAs and 1 BFG). All the cards only require one 6 pin power connector. That is part of the reason I bought it. I tested my power supply and even tried a different poser supply with no success. The requirement is for 26A and my PSU supplies 43A. I have since read on this site and others, that other people are experiencing similar problems with Nvidia and ATI cards. I think I will try removing some memory and trying that out. It shouldn't make any difference but I am running out of ideas. Thanks again for the responses. I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

bscottphillips

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
My bad.

Memory has nothing to do with it. I've not heard of ANY other persons experiencing this problem unless they did/didn't do one of the things above.

There's absolutely no reason the card would not work on your system.

It's gotta be your psu, what power supply do you have and what are your full system specs?

I have a Xion 600w power supply. I also went out and bought a Themaltake 550w PSU and got the same results. The power requirements are similar to the EVGA GTS 8800 320mb card that I have now. I could maybe see it if the PSU was powering a bunch of stuff. The only other thing that was plugged in was the hard drive and one case fan. I even put both PSUs on a tester just to make sure. I'm with you, there is no reason that it should not work but the MB is the only thing I have not tried swapping. I will have to go back and look but I think I saw someone having a problem with this MB and an ATI 4830 (ASUS forum). I hate to buy a new MB just to test it out. It is driving me crazy at this point.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
did you remove all the video drivers and have it set to standard vga device(or whatever its called) before powering off the computer and installing the new video card

what happens if you boot off a windows cd or linux boot cd when the new video card is in?

do you even see the bios information on screen? if not its a motherboard issue most likely with that series of video cards or a user error

bscottphillips

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

I removed the Nvidia drivers and even used the driver removal tool that the EVGA tech mentioned when I talked to them. I don't see the bios info on the screen. I haven't tried to boot off a CD. I guess I need to try a different video card or a new MB. The problem for me is that I can't return the card. I will try booting a CD but since I don't even see the bios, I am not too hopeful.

bscottphillips

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Why cant you return the card? Is it a local shop?

Take your computer in and show them that it doesn't work.

I got the card from Newegg and this one has an exchange only policy. I didn't even think to look at that because I would have never guessed that I would have these problems. Part of the reason I chose this card was it's low requirements. I had seen people say they are using a standard Dell 300w PSU.

bscottphillips

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
You can still exchange it for another card right? Why not get a 4770 or something?

Unfortunately it can only be exchanged for the same item. Like I said before, I guess I should have paid attention to the return policy. A lot of the others can be returned for a refund. I called them to try an ATI card but it was a no go.