Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-760~ 84 C full load prime95 stock cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
December 3, 2010 7:37:40 AM

I installed a i5-760 with stock cooler and artic silver 5 on an msi p55 gd-65 mobo a day ago.

I get idle temps of 40~42. with ambient temp of 30. I thought it was great because my previous setup C2D E6300 with stock cooler idled at around 50~55 and Dist. from T.jmax of 40.

I ran prime 95 on the sensor test in Real Temp 3.60 and i was shocked to see average temps of 84 C at 100% load and Avg. Dist from Tj max of around 14. Even my previous setup went only upto 65~70 and and Avg Dist from Tj max of 30.

This was my first time assembling a computer and i think i goofed up. While installing the stock cooler, I used artic silver 5. But i didn't know the stock cooler already had its own thermal compound.

I accidentally applied a small drop of AS5 before i smudged the existing compound. As soon as i realised my mistake, i panicked and :whistle:  took a wet cloth with water and wiped away the contact surface of the cooler clean of the old compound.

I went to sleep when i realized i was supposed to use Isopropyl alcohol with the cloth ._. The next day i got the alcohol and wiped it again before proceeding with the install. I realized i had scratched the surface a lot.

Is it safe to use my pc as it is right now? I'll be gaming mostly. Or Do i wait for sometime for Curing something of the thermal compound? Or should i get a new cooler or something. I researched a bit and i found a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus which won't fit in my cabinet. Please Suggest!

a c 239 K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 7:43:28 AM

WOW it dangerous over heat..hot hot for CPU temp MAx 70C!
u have Strong CPU ..!
Your thermal paste sAS5 good but use Stcok cooling not good , Get New Cooler for CPU after market like Hyper 212 very Cheap!
and u can add fan for Exhaust min 80mm,
December 3, 2010 7:48:25 AM

Hyper 212 wont fit in my cabinet
Related resources
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 7:55:39 AM

may be your problem over heating from Vcore too High.. / do u overclock you pc?
December 3, 2010 7:57:18 AM

But i do need an aftermarket cooler? Because my Pc has been running stable for now. i really don't wish to spend 60$ on one, 30 sounds good.
December 3, 2010 7:58:11 AM

No i do not overclock! infact i selected the cooling setting in MSI which lowered my clock speed and Stuff
December 3, 2010 8:00:08 AM

this is what cpu-z says : Core Voltage 0.864
Multiplier 9.0
Bus speed 133.7
Core speed 1203

Realtime Statistics :D 
December 3, 2010 8:08:19 AM

Oh well~ Those sites aren't for my country, i'll just go have to buy one from the shop :(  Thanks anyways!
a c 239 K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 8:18:45 AM

if u not OC your PC use , new Stock cooler is good , set in BIOS DISABLED SMART FAN ! always clean your HSF 3month & replace New Thermal paste.
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 12:44:23 PM

That is a bit warm even for the stock cooler at stock frequencies. In your situation provided you left everything on default in your bios, is most certainly a heatsink installation issue or very poor case airflow. How much paste did you use the second time around, and did you make sure all the pushpins are completely and securely fastened to the back of the motherboard? Also is your room temperature really warm?
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 12:58:08 PM

I have to disagree on this one Mal... That implies that running 81c is normal. The i5 chips can run warm, but they are manageable when stock volts and frequency is used.
December 3, 2010 1:07:53 PM

sportsfanboy said:
That is a bit warm even for the stock cooler at stock frequencies. In your situation provided you left everything on default in your bios, is most certainly a heatsink installation issue or very poor case airflow. How much paste did you use the second time around, and did you make sure all the pushpins are completely and securely fastened to the back of the motherboard? Also is your room temperature really warm?

I did leave everything at default. My case has two side vents and one 80 mm rear fan~ About the paste~ I used a really tiny drop on the cooler contact and spread it with a credit card till the grey color was barely visible and then i applied a straight line on the center of the processor just like how they showed in the pdf i got from arctic silver's site! I am from India, so the country's fairly warm but my room isn't too warm right now coz its winter! I did fastened the heatsink properly and double checked it.
December 3, 2010 1:14:32 PM

Quote:
honestly that's not that high for that chip.
just a few degrees high at best and if not gaming then you hardly stay at full load for too long.
max temp is 73*, so 84* @ full load is high but not like you've caused damage already; you haven't.
maybe view the videos on applying AS5 correctly and trying it again before you get an aftermarket cooler..
http://www.cpu-data.info/index.php?grp=BV80605001908AN&...

73?!!! :ouch:  I wonder why my pc is still running o.o Anyways could you suggest a good video? I tried, but i could find one where the guy covered his finger in a plastic sheet and spread the paste with it ._.
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 1:16:05 PM

You might have put too much on for that stock cooler, usually the size of a cooked grain of rice is fine, without adding the spreading layer. What is your room temperature 25 30c? And your 100 percent sure the pushpins are all the way through the motherboard with all four pins clamped to the bottom of the board?
December 3, 2010 1:22:15 PM

Yup. Affirmative. I checked it and all the white hooks come out from the back. Also i used a grain of paste even smaller than a cooked grain of rice i think. I Don't have a thermometer, but when i turn on ac and set it to 26, i find it cooler. So its definately more than 26~ 26~ 29 i would say.
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 2:39:19 PM

No we are talking about load, so your good, I'm saying 84c at under load is warm approaching hot. At around 100c the chip will throttle down and possible shut the computer off.
December 3, 2010 3:02:10 PM

You could try lowering the cpu voltages in the bios a little. If you are running stock clocks you might be able to run at .1 or .2 volts under stock voltages. Also, you might look at a smaller aftermarket cpu heatsink.

This one has a 92mm fan instead of the 120mm on the hyper 212+, so it should be a bit shorter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 3:09:45 PM

^ The cooler Master 212 is still 15.00 after rebate, a bit more installation required but better cooling ability. And trying to tweak down the voltage is not a bad idea, most Intel chips can overclock around 10 to 15 percent on stock voltage, so you should be able to lower the voltage the same amount. Just check for stability along the way.

I still think there's something wrong with the cooler install, or real bad case airflow. If all else fails you can lower the voltage a little and/or buy an after market cooler.

Edit: you said the 212 won't fit hmm, I'll look for one.

What case do you have?
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 3:23:34 PM

Just a heads up although their tips are right.An i5 can run at 99c for 30 mins and not take any damage.They are durable chips.How do I know that?Well I was changed my cooler 5-6 months ago and at the time I didn't know much about installing since it was my first time.Although I don't think that keeping your cpu at 99 or 80c for long amounts of time is not the wisest choice,your temps are by far not dangerous.My i5 with the stock cooler is 80c load.I'm too bored to reseat and my temps do not go past 65c in any application so I'm fine with it as it is.Later this year I'll go to a hyper 212 plus though ;) 
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 4:29:09 PM

^ It wont kill the chip today or even in a year maybe, but try running your i5 at 84c and above for more than two years straight see where that gets you. 100c is the shutdown temperature, it will have some impact on the chips life if you run it at 85 percent of it's max temperature rating.
a b K Overclocking
December 3, 2010 4:32:40 PM

sportsfanboy said:
^ It wont kill the chip today or even in a year maybe, but try running your i5 at 84c and above for more than two years straight see where that gets you. 100c is the shutdown temperature, it will have some impact on the chips life if you run it at 85 percent of it's max temperature rating.

Yep,I don't disagree.Still prime 95 is a stress test and no other application(that isn't a stress test) can get the chip at 84c.He will probably be running at 60-70c with whatever he does.
December 4, 2010 3:34:45 AM

Quote:
to suggest a video then i need your system and system specs including power supply..

ohk my system specs are:

Core i5-760

MSI P55-GD65 USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Edit: Right now i haven't got the PSU, its coming in a few days, and so i am running the pc on a 450W PSU that came with my cabinet (local brand called iBall) Also i haven't installed the graphics card yet.
December 4, 2010 3:35:45 AM

Quote:
before you buy a cooler even though always a good idea for the best possible cooling
but if money is funny at the moment try to re-apply paste correctly...
http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

I followed that guide when i installed :( 
December 4, 2010 3:48:33 AM

sportsfanboy said:
^ The cooler Master 212 is still 15.00 after rebate, a bit more installation required but better cooling ability. And trying to tweak down the voltage is not a bad idea, most Intel chips can overclock around 10 to 15 percent on stock voltage, so you should be able to lower the voltage the same amount. Just check for stability along the way.

I still think there's something wrong with the cooler install, or real bad case airflow. If all else fails you can lower the voltage a little and/or buy an after market cooler.

Edit: you said the 212 won't fit hmm, I'll look for one.

What case do you have?

I am planning to change my case now~ so its either of these two:

1. Cooler Master Elite RC 310 Black-Red Chasssis with Side Window ATX Cabinet

2.Cooler Master Elite 360

I read somewhere that in the Elite 360, there are problems with wire management(Especially the sata cables, as my Mobo has sata I/O facing sidewards and not upwards.) and i think can't install a hyper 212+ in that one either, due to the dimensions, but i am not completely sure. What would you suggest for the cooler/ case combination around the case's price range.
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 9:18:07 AM

would suggest a roomier case with more fan options since your ambient temp is warm... Since you might be on a tight budget, for just a few bucks more try this NZXT Gamma... or if you like Cooler Master then Cooler Master RC430 for a couple of hundred more... or Sunbeam VentMax

For 1000 more you can get a solid Antec Two Hundred V2...
December 4, 2010 10:31:59 AM

abully said:
would suggest a roomier case with more fan options since your ambient temp is warm... Since you might be on a tight budget, for just a few bucks more try this NZXT Gamma... or if you like Cooler Master then Cooler Master RC430 for a couple of hundred more... or Sunbeam VentMax

For 1000 more you can get a solid Antec Two Hundred V2...

I got a good deal for an Elite 370~ So now i just need some suggestions for a good and cheap after market cooler
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 12:33:07 PM

Yes its for 1366... my bad...

Its a push pin installation... not recommended for enthusiasts... but it doesnt require mobo removal...

I would recommend Hyper 212+ but you have to remove the mobo if you have already assembled the new case...
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 12:45:29 PM

Keep in mind the 212 isn't the best cooler, just the best for the money, at the moment at least.
December 4, 2010 12:45:50 PM

abully said:
Yes its for 1366... my bad...

Its a push pin installation... not recommended for enthusiasts... but it doesnt require mobo removal...

I would recommend Hyper 212+ but you have to remove the mobo if you have already assembled the new case...

No i haven't assembled it yet! I think i'll go with the Hyper 212+ thanks For the feedback!~ I would really appreciate it, if you could provide some resources which would direct me for a proper installation this time! (how to apple paste, how to install the new heatsink, etc,etc.)
December 4, 2010 12:48:17 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Keep in mind the 212 isn't the best cooler, just the best for the money, at the moment at least.

I don't mind not having the best, as long as its good bang for the buck~ Just how much do i need to OC the cpu to run the memory at 1600Mhz (G.Skill Ripjaws). And will the hyper 212+ be able to handle it well?
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 1:14:45 PM

OK...

TIM installation - I know a lotta people saying dot or line but i personally found the below methods best...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQUdr823g1w
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMx2lIt5RC4 (see the last frame)

Hyper 212+ installation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq_xbxsm7Q (its HD so it'll load slow if you have low bandwidth)

And one last suggestion... Since Elite 370 comes with 2 X 120mm fans at the top for exhaust and one bottom 120mm fan plus one front 120/140mm fan at the front for intake, i would recommend you fit all these fans and have the hyper 212+ pulling air from the bottom and blowing towards the top rather than having it exhaust towards the rear fan... its a better way to position your cooler IMHO...
December 4, 2010 1:59:37 PM

abully said:
OK...

TIM installation - I know a lotta people saying dot or line but i personally found the below methods best...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQUdr823g1w
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMx2lIt5RC4 (see the last frame)

Hyper 212+ installation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq_xbxsm7Q (its HD so it'll load slow if you have low bandwidth)

And one last suggestion... Since Elite 370 comes with 2 X 120mm fans at the top for exhaust and one bottom 120mm fan plus one front 120/140mm fan at the front for intake, i would recommend you fit all these fans and have the hyper 212+ pulling air from the bottom and blowing towards the top rather than having it exhaust towards the rear fan... its a better way to position your cooler IMHO...

Well a 120MM fan costs around 450 here and for a total of 4 more fans, it'll be 1850~ My new cabinet is 2150 LOL~ i don't think i'll be spending that sun to get fans~ So for the time being, a rear exhaust fan is enough for me. Also, i am scared to try out the stuff in the video~ i might accidentally apply too much paste or make the layer too thick? Should i just put one dot on the cpu and nothing on the heatsink and just press it and let it spread?~

I found this and i think it would suit 212+ http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten... what do you think?
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 2:14:04 PM

That's the same link I gave you, Yeah that method should work well for the 212.
December 4, 2010 2:26:15 PM

sportsfanboy said:
That's the same link I gave you, Yeah that method should work well for the 212.

I was writing my post and i didn't see your post. I'll give it try when i get the cooler! by the way~ how many applications does 3.5 gm of AS5 last?~
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 7:24:18 PM

sportsfanboy said:
^ Not sure to be honest, but there are TIM's that perform as well or better and aren't necessarily electrically conductive like AS5.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...

They're not always available in every country though :pfff:  If mx2 or ocz freeze isn't available,then I'd try arctic ooling ceramique if you want to be extra careful with conductivity.
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 9:06:43 PM

Just alittle chart to show whats out there and what's good, he can make his own mind up what to buy.
December 5, 2010 12:59:35 AM

sportsfanboy said:
^ Not sure to be honest, but there are TIM's that perform as well or better and aren't necessarily electrically conductive like AS5.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...

The other TIMs aren't available in my country~ Infact i had to get AC5 from usa~ we get the 10gm version here which is very costly. So i think i'll hyave to stick with AC5.

What is available is some compound from coolermaster
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2010 1:09:23 AM

Got ya, just don't be messy with it, as it is electrically conductive.
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2010 1:41:31 AM

Really? I always thought it was, coulda-sworn I read it was, hmm

If it says that it isn't on the site than it's not, who am i to argue :) 
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2010 8:11:48 AM

sportsfanboy said:
Really? I always thought it was, coulda-sworn I read it was, hmm

If it says that it isn't on the site than it's not, who am i to argue :) 

It is not conductive enough to cause damage while being on an ihs,but it is not recommended for chips without one.That includes gpu cores,ram chips,vrms or cpus without an ihs.
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2010 11:02:46 AM

The reason I say it is because the paste can get on the mother board if your messy with the dispenser.
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2010 11:42:32 AM

Quote:
no, 81* or 84* is not normal and yes, little high. but from what i understood that temp was at load not idle.
if i'm wrong then my bad..

That's the part that's wrong, those temps are pretty much "normal" for a stock cooler, maybe even a bit low considering the OP's thermostat setting of 26c
I5-750, stock cooler, 23c ambient ( towards the bottom of the page )
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2010 11:52:28 AM

I guess I stand corrected, that's still hard to believe however. So according to that, millions of i5's are loading in excess of 80 to 90% of their thermal limits when under heavy load? Seems a bit excessive but ok.

I wish they posted case temp on that review, it would be interesting because it would appear the case temp must have been close to max.
!