Please help me! (Weird issue!)

conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hi all,

Have been using my Q6600 at stock for ages and started to notice it's getting a bit weak. I thought I'd OC it for a bit prior to upgrading.

I have...

Asus P5b-VM SE
Q6600 G0 Step @ 2.4ghz
4gb of ddr 2 ram @ 800mhz
Windows 7 64 bit

Basically, the motherboard has an auto overclock feature which I used, which seemed to work..It upped the speed to 2.72ghz and I have a noticable FPS improvement in CPU heavy games..The problem is that when I do this my interner connection stops working! It gives me the symbol as though the net is offline...Very very weird but it means I can't go online etc when my CPU is OC'd, and considering the OC is for primarily online gaming..You get the point :D

If anybody could shed some light on this I'd be extremely grateful, as DCS:A-10 gained a good 5fps at airports, whic is HUGE considering it usually sits at 15fps!

Thank you :)

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Not many here will recommend auto overclocking. What most likely is happening is: when you raise your fsb frequency other things will go up as well, like the pcie, ram etc. The first thing you should do is verify that your pcie frequency is at 100 and your ram is running within spec.

If I were you I would read some overclocking guides, overclocking that Q is pretty easy and won't take you very long to figure out how to do it on manual settings. You should easily be able to get 3.0ghz out of that chip when clocking manually, and at that frequency if done correctly, the chip will last another four years.

conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for the reply! I had a read of a guide earlier and it seemed incredibly complex, with about 12 pages of info a numbers! Is there anything a bit simpler, or is overclocking always going to be a very complex process?

Thank you :)

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
We have a guide here that's not 12 pages, it won't make you a world record holder, but will get you started. Once you understand a couple key things it really isn't that hard.

A couple pieces of interest for your chip. It's max voltage is 1.5, max cpu temp (case temp)for the b3 is 62c and 70c for the go. Max tjuction is around 90c for the b3 and 100c for the GO stepping. I recommend keeping the distance to tjunction around 25 to 30 or higher. You can find distance to tjunction with realtemp.

Turn off the auto overclocking and OCing by yourself. It's quite simple, just watch the temps...
Do you have an aftermarket cooler for your CPU or just stock one?
Slowly increase the frequency little by little and watch the temps, make sure it's not overheating. Maybe you can go up to 2.7GHz without raising the VCore.
When the CPU isn't stable or doesn't boot, raise the VCore a little bit and continue OCing...

What they said! :D

And yeah it was definitely your PCIe frequency getting boosted. I did some tests in how PCIe freq affected an OC, it had issues over 120-125 including the network adapter not working.

conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys :) The only setting I've changed is the FSB - Is that all I really need to change to do a very simple 300mhz OC? I upped the FSB to 290 and whilst it worked correctly, once again my network stopped! I realised that my PCI-E frequency was set to auto, so I'm presuming this is changing automatically with the FSB and because of that its changing it. Sooo..I tried setting the PCI-E frquency to 100 and the system wouldnt boot!

Please could I have a bit more advice? :D

conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Oh sorry, also I have a stock cooler however my max temp never goes above 68oC so I figure I have a bit of room for manouvre?

Depends on the mother board. If the options for PCIe frequency don't change, even tho you increased the FSB, then it's actually only telling you what it would be at stock FSB. By changing the FSB, the ratio will stay the same but it won't display the true value. I don't know if your system is like that but it probably is.

As for the temps, depends on which core you have...
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29765
B3=62.2C, G0=71C
Either way you're pretty much at max until you get aftermarket cooling.