M4A78-VM runs 60x too fast!

dave_angel

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
After putting together a build this evening, I came to install Vista and it seems to think one minute is equal to 1 second!
I tried installing off of 2 IDE dvd drives and a SATA drive with 2 different copies of Vista and I still got the same problem.
The Vista loading icon spins way too fast and after I got it to install the vista clock will take exactly one minute to change by 1 hour! In the BIOS the clock runs at the correct speed but sets itself initially to what vista recorded it as when i shut down. I have tried resetting the CMOS but to no avail.
I have also flashed the BIOS to the latest version.
Can i fix this or should i RMA because I have no idea what to do now...
I am running:
Asus M4a78-VM mb
Athlon II X2 240 proc
4GB Crucial DDR2 800mhz
1TB samsung spinpoint
Thanks

Sounds like a BIOS problem. For whatever reason Vista is freaking out when it reads the time from the clock on your board. Perhaps an improperly updated BIOS. Make sure that you did the "Load Setup Defaults" after flashing your BIOS. If all else fails RMA it.

dave_angel

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Load Setup Defaults!!
Thank you so much, flashed the BIOS and then did this and it all seems to be working!
Was just about ready to RMA it
Thanks again

dave_angel

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
this solution hasn't worked fully, if the psu is disconnected then sometimes the problem reoccurs. Seems like a CMOS problem. The board has been RMA'd

rwalford

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I had a similar issue with an M3A78-EM, AMD QC9750, 8GB Patriot DDR2@400mhz (nothing Over Clocked).

The machine has been working properly after the install and then it went into some kind of turbo mode where everything was running 2-3 times too fast including the time, Vista spinner, etc. Even the USB keybaord would register 3 or 4 keystrokes for every key pressed.

Reset the BOIS to factory defaults and the system returned to normal. I will see how long it lasts.