Blue-ray and DVD Burners

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I would really be grateful if someone could please help me out with some advice on picking a new Blue-ray burner. The only think I'd request it to have it 12x write as I noticed the DVD recording speeds are almost the same. The main reason I need this help is I not too long ago had my Sony DVD burner go down after yrs of service and replaced it with a Lite-on. The Lite on crashed within a yr or 2 which is unacceptable. So I'm not scared to get them again. Could someone please tell me a manufacturer that makes quality drives at fair prices? I need serial ATA internal drive. I would like the drive to support as many DL formats as possible and I don't care for light scribe. /unfortunately I have had some spine surgeries and have not been able to put in as much time as is required to really do a thorough research. Lastly, I would like to make sure that the blue-ray burner supports as many (practical ) BL formats as possible. Would really be grateful for your help. I have a asus p6t and an Intel 920 and gtx 285 (slis) so I don't think hardware will be a problem. I now have vista and want to upgrade to win 7 pro (do u guys think it's the best win 7 for the mild tech geek?) Main prob is that on Newegg the prices expire as of the 31st. So I'd really be grateful if u can get back to me at you're earliest convenience.
Thanks,
Sebastian

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
yeah, I bought a lite on as a replacement for my sony DVD burner that worked for yrs and finaly konked out. I didnt get any time from the lite on. I think their brand sucks. After the break, i took it apart and figured out it was the spinning motor(when i hand spun it all i heard was snap crakle and pop), on top of that, before it went i had probs ejecting a disk. It was a lightscribe model which to me is a lot of hype, I never used the feature even though I purchased it for it. I think current printers can do a far better job.

What do you think of LG? its the only one I'm considering seriously as plextors are more expensive.

Thanks,
Sebastian

sebastian869

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

thanks for the input, what would u consider the runner up?

thanks,
Sebastian

Have alway used DVD plextors even though they were much more expensive. But they quit the OEM market and currently only over rebadge drives. Not sure if their Blu-ray drive is a true plextor, or just a rebadged drive. If it is a true plextor, it might be worth it, but if a rebadged unit then it is overpriced.

Have a LG blu-ray writer (about a year and a half old) and a pioneer Blu-ray writer ( about 10 months) Have had not problems with them.